New Mainsail, sail loft in southern Maine

DH31

Sep 13, 2021
Hunter 31 Casco Bay
Thinking of getting a new mainsail for my 2007 Hunter 31 with in mast furler. Has anyone replaced their main that has in mast furler? What type of cut did the sail loft recommend (tri-radial / traditional?) I noticed Quantum has a loft in Falmouth ME which is where I keep my boat. Anyone have experience with Quantum? Thanks for your input. David

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I highly recommend FX Sails. They made a beautiful, fully featured mainsail for my C36, cheap! Great sail.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I highly recommend FX Sails. They made a beautiful, fully featured mainsail for my C36, cheap! Great sail.
WOW, I thought those guys were out of business. I'm glad their sail worked out for you, you were lucky. FX Sails screwed up a new main for my former CS36T. First thing I immediately noticed was the sail number only had four of the five numbers, so back it went. Second time around, I fit the sail and discovered the foot was 123 inches short, FX then refused to replace the sail, The president said they correct correct the problem - how do you add 12" to the foot and leech of a new sail? Bad customer service beyond compare.

FX IS not a real sail loft, the sales guy is in one location and he outsources the cutting to some other locations, and there is a lot of opportunity for details to fall on the floor between locations.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
WOW, I thought those guys were out of business. I'm glad their sail worked out for you, you were lucky. FX Sails screwed up a new main for my former CS36T. First thing I immediately noticed was the sail number only had four of the five numbers, so back it went. Second time around, I fit the sail and discovered the foot was 123 inches short, FX then refused to replace the sail, The president said they correct correct the problem - how do you add 12" to the foot and leech of a new sail? Bad customer service beyond compare.

FX IS not a real sail loft, the sales guy is in one location and he outsources the cutting to some other locations, and there is a lot of opportunity for details to fall on the floor between locations.
I see. Sorry you had a bad experience. Mine was superb. It was in 2017.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004

I knew they used "spare capacity" at other sailmakers/sail lofts. I guess I just got lucky with the loft mine went to. I found the owner very engaging, very knowledgable, and he gave me advice on the sail. I ended up with a big discount and free shipping. My only complaint is he didn't give me many sail stops! Ha, ha.