New Main Sail for H26

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I'm think of getting a new Main Sail for my H26. I know there have been many posts with recommendations of which sail loft to go with. I started to search and was not finding a lot of info. Can anyone recommend a good loft to go with? Who has the best prices with good quality. I'm thinking about a standard foot with a pack. I figure a pack will make single handing easier. I believe I would like the lazy jack aspect of it. I'm thinking I want four battens and two reef points. The OEM sail I have has four battens. I figure the battens would help to stack the sail in the pack. I checked this forum store, but I don't see the packs as an option. Is the pack something you purchase separately, or is it incorporated into the sail. I assume with a sail pack a standard foot would be better than a loose foot. I want to be able to drop the sail, and pack it quickly. Any and all advice appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Suggest calling your local sail lofts (Ullman, North, Quantum, UK Halsey, Doyle, etc.) for a quote as they can provide a competitive turnkey custom design with a pack, lazy jack, etc. and they will come to your boat, take all the measurements, customize the sail for your requirements (cross cut dacron, cruising laminate, blue water finish, etc.) and install it OR you make all the measurements and buy on-line any number of sail lofts like Lee Sails, Precision, etc. and install it yourself.

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Suggest calling your local sail lofts (Ullman, North, Quantum, UK Halsey, Doyle, etc.) for a quote as they can provide a competitive turnkey custom design with a pack, lazy jack, etc. and they will come to your boat, take all the measurements, customize the sail for your requirements (cross cut dacron, cruising laminate, blue water finish, etc.) and install it OR you make all the measurements and buy on-line any number of sail lofts like Lee Sails, Precision, etc. and install it yourself.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that. I have Ullman, Quantum, near me here in San Diego.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
I'm interested in this info.... I'd like to know the cost. Our jib just got a large tear, might be able to patch for a little while, and the main is looking tired. I know new sails are in my future...

Feb 21, 2013
............I'm interested in this info. I'd like to know the cost. Our jib just got a large tear.........
When my jib got a tear I called the local sail loft in my marina and they came down to the boat, removed, repaired and re-installed it before my next sail AND at the same time measured for new sails and provided a quote for new jib and main. Of course you will need to decide on sail material (dacron, laminate, etc.), weight and features (number of reef points, blue water finish, etc.).

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
When my jib got a tear I called the local sail loft in my marina and they came down to the boat, removed, repaired and re-installed it before my next sail AND at the same time measured for new sails and provided a quote for new jib and main. Of course you will need to decide on sail material (dacron, laminate, etc.), weight and features (number of reef points, blue water finish, etc.).
Thank you for the info. What was the cost for all the work with the choices you made?

Feb 21, 2013
.............What was the cost for all the work with the choices you made?
Probably not a good comparison for my Hunter 46 because of the sail sizes are considerably larger, but I can tell you that I just purchased cruising tri-radial laminate sails with a blue water finish for furling main and jib vs. a cross-cut dacron and their cost was 25% more. You can get an on-line quote quickly by providing your sailboat's I, J, E dimensions for your sailboat OR call your local loft for a quote.

Sail Measurement Assistance (secondwindsails.com)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Probably not a good comparison for my Hunter 46 because of the sail sizes are considerably larger, but I can tell you you that I just purchased cruising tri-radial laminate sails with a blue water finish for furling main and jib vs. a cross-cut dacron and their cost was 25% more. You can get an on-line quote quickly by providing your sailboat's I, J, E dimensions for your sailboat OR call your local loft for a quote.

Sail Measurement Assistance (secondwindsails.com)

I just found a link to Doyle on this forum under the parts heading and it shows estimates for mains and jibs!