New Mac 25 owner

Maz413

Jan 8, 2020
Macgregor 25 Brimfield
Thank for the add. This is my second Macgregor 25. My first one I had to sell because I was moving. I needed a project boat and I found this one. So happy with the find. Even better because I only paid $500 for it. It looks like hell, but some clean up she will be good to go. She was a project boat and they didn't have time to work on her so she has been sitting for the last 3 years. It does need some TLC and some glass work. Its winter in New England so I cant wait for summer when it gets warmer to work on it.

Attachments

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Looks like a great project. Do you have the mast, rigging, rudder, etc?

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
It will clean up nice. Welcome to the club. What shape is the keel in?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
"needs some TLC" may be an understatement. Good luck with it. Does it have rigging and sails?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I found a Mac 22 on a trailer with five sails and and O.B. for $900... it was in similar condition to this 25. It has a bell hornet's nest in the galley and rats and made a home in the flotation foam. Here are some pics of the final restoration....

Have fun with yours...

If you have time, check out the two PDF files I attached.

0531101330a.jpg
0314101708a.jpg
0314101753a.jpg
2011-wax2.jpg
bulhead-back.jpg
SAM_1362.JPG
557068_10150949656828244_511093839_n.jpg
563977_10150951923848244_393590611_n.jpg

Attachments

Maz413

Jan 8, 2020
Macgregor 25 Brimfield
Yes it has the mast, rigging, and rudder. The winch to lower the keel is shot and needs to be replace. I'm not sure about the keel but I am going to remove it and replace the bolts anyway. I has the main sail but not the jib. The trailer needs some welding too. I'm thinking maybe mid/late summer she should be in the water. I'm not looking for a masterpiece just something to get me back on the water.

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
Looks like a wonderful project, with a great deal of satisfaction and mental progress just from a cleaning. I don't know if you have this available, but I strongly recommend a product called Barkeeper's Friend for cleaning up the fibreglass to look like new. No obnoxious smell or caustic effect on your skin. Go over it twice in sections and the effect will amaze you. Also works on metal and glossy painted surfaces. Comes as a powder in a Comet-like container, but I see they now have a liquid version, which I have not tried.

Bob

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
"There is nothing - Absolutely nothing - half so much doing as simply messing about in boats." Wind in the willows. Good buy, now roll up your sleeves. I think you can get replacement winch at Harbor Freight. Keep us posted with progress and pics.:D P.S. I am reporting to PETA for kicking the rats out:yikes:

Last edited:

Maz413

Jan 8, 2020
Macgregor 25 Brimfield
After about 3 hour of scrubbing this is what I got. I used bleach and a hard bristle brush. The bleach cut right through everything. I also used toilet bowl cleaner for the hull. I would not recommend it unless you want to get rid of your bottom pain. Because that's what it did. I don't mind because I'm going to repaint it this summer.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be careful with bleach when you clean below. The fumes are nasty.
Looks great. Read up on Mainsail's techniques for rebedding the hardware topside. You'll save yourself grief in the future.

Maz413

Jan 8, 2020
Macgregor 25 Brimfield
Be careful with bleach when you clean below. The fumes are nasty.
Looks great. Read up on Mainsail's techniques for rebedding the hardware topside. You'll save yourself grief in the future.
Do you have a link or what I should put in the search engine, I've done Fiberglass before. I got a pretty good idea how to attack this. Wait for the heavy modifications I'm thinking of.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Do you have a link or what I should put in the search engine, I've done Fiberglass before. I got a pretty good idea how to attack this. Wait for the heavy modifications I'm thinking of.
Techniques on using Bed-It butyl tape

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Thank for the add. This is my second Macgregor 25. My first one I had to sell because I was moving. I needed a project boat and I found this one. So happy with the find. Even better because I only paid $500 for it. It looks like hell, but some clean up she will be good to go. She was a project boat and they didn't have time to work on her so she has been sitting for the last 3 years. It does need some TLC and some glass work. Its winter in New England so I cant wait for summer when it gets warmer to work on it.
NIce!! I live in Charlton. I have done a lot on mine. Great boats.

Cmackg

May 5, 2018
Macgregor 25 Home
I paid 600 for mine, looked almost as rough. Main sail was original, no headsail. I second the butyl tape reccomendation, my boat seems to only leak now from the vent a P.O. put in over the head closet. @rgranger, I’m gonna steal what you did with the anchor rode.