New lost and maybe scared

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
Thanks, I'm researching as much as I can. She's out of the water now. I am looking for a picture of an "A" frame to drop the mast. The main halyard seems fouled and want to do maintenance on the blocks at the top of the mast as well as check lights.

The thanks goes out to all of you. Everyone is so willing to share which is an unusual trait these days

I'm 75 years old and I decided that I'll make this work but I'm a little scared that I'll mess up the boat.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hey, there's nothing that you can't un-mess up on the boat! Well, you know what I mean. I remember putting the first ding on my boat. I was actually relieved. Now the pressure was off, and all the dings after that would be no big deal. They now represent fond memories of adventures shared with others of my kind.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Hey, there's nothing that you can't un-mess up on the boat! Well, you know what I mean. I remember putting the first ding on my boat. I was actually relieved. Now the pressure was off, and all the dings after that would be no big deal. They now represent fond memories of adventures shared with others of my kind.
http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/printthread.php?t=144631

Good description do spring line docking technique-- a great confidence booster skill. Use with fenders as described and you'll be the envy of the marina.

The boats are strong so my advice is to focus on your engine needs-- water, and oil mainly.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Thanks, I'm researching as much as I can. She's out of the water now. I am looking for a picture of an "A" frame to drop the mast. The main halyard seems fouled and want to do maintenance on the blocks at the top of the mast as well as check lights.

The thanks goes out to all of you. Everyone is so willing to share which is an unusual trait these days

I'm 75 years old and I decided that I'll make this work but I'm a little scared that I'll mess up the boat.
Watch these videos. Using an A-frame or gin-pole and blocks makes raising/lowering the mast a simple procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r33VCObNroY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsLxujYRsMQ

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
What is an estimate for the time it will take to ail from Port Clinton, Ohio To Cleveland, Ohio in this Catalina c-25?

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I have sailed that in our former Catalina 25 and I made it a two day trip, Port Clinton to vermillion-day one and than Vermillion to Cleveland Day two. Both will be FULL days of sailing on the 25 more so the first day than the second. You will be going downwind the trip as the winds are generally from the west/soutwest. It is a nice trip and remeber its an adventure that is doable. Make good preperations such as watching the weather,VHF radio,have snacks and drink either warm or cold depending on the weather with charts and GPS. Bring a sailing buddy to talk with and enjoy your accomplishment over adult beverages upon successful completeion. In Vermillion dock at the City docks and you can walk into town for dinner and sightseeing than leave early the next day for Cleveland. when you get to vermillion go around the east side of the Harbor barrier for the deepest water-you can check out the Harbor via Marinas.com or the chart. That is a safe fun trip again keep an eye of the weather and it goes without saying I always wear my life jacket. I am not sure how much expierence you have.

Oct 3, 2011
Al, Where are you at in Port Clinton? Our boat is a Brands Marina for the winter but our launch date is April 14th than we sail her to Catawba Island for the summer. I would be happy to look at you boat and give you advice if you are there and want it. Also we have lots of friends that have or had Catalina 25's. Alan

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
John, I'm at brands also getting some work done and going in the water May 22nd. Then I'm bringing her to Cleveland and she will dock @ whiskey island.

Oct 3, 2011
Al, Where is your boat at Brands? I am going up next weekend. Where is your boat at Brands, we are along the edge back of the covered docks. I am happy to give you guidance if you wish. Alan

Aug 1, 2012
Catalina 27 Curtice, OH
Welcome Al! I was in your exact same spot 3 years ago when we impulsively bought a Catalina 27 from a friend. We sail Erie as well, out of Curtice. We haven't taken any classes (yet) but so far we've learned so much just by reading, talking to others & playing. We even got caught in our first storm last summer- scared the heck outta me & we made many mistakes, but now we know better what to do. Our first 2 summers I stressed quite a bit about not knowing enough, but now I think this summer will be all fun.
This site has been a huge resource- everyone's always willing to help.
Have fun & enjoy those 'square waves'.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Thanks for all of the support. I don't feel like I'm all alone in the middle of Lake Erie. Al:
You're not alone in the middle. There's prying eyes from two countries watching!

Nov 20, 2013
Catalina C-25 Cleveland
When I bought this c-25. The po had just thrown all the lines in one big pile (mess). Now I'm in the process of figuring which goes to what, when or where. Can ant one help with halyard length? I have the original cable/roper setup.

Thanks Al