New lifelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Time for new lifelines on my C30. Has anyone used the Catalina Direct double deluxe kit? I priced out the parts from other places and it seems they are close in price.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
They are coated now and I want coated to put back on. I don't think I like the looks of bare.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
They are coated now and I want coated to put back on. I don't think I like the looks of bare.
Bare are required now for off shore races and rallys. I stripped mine, not for that reason but to be able to see any rust or other problems that the coating hides .....

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Do you have any problems with hand abrasion? Since I'm several hundred miles from the coast I doubt that's an issue

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Do you have any problems with hand abrasion? Since I'm several hundred miles from the coast I doubt that's an issue
Not a problem I've experienced.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
if the lines are in good condition there will be no "hand abrasion" issues... the bare lifelines need no special attention and they always look clean. I have seen the white coated ones on other boats and when the coating gets old, UV degraded, cracked and stained, it brings down the "look" of the whole boat... the clean stainless look is a good option when thinking of replacing them, and if the coated ones you have are getting ugly but otherwise in good condition, you can peel the coating off very quickly and easily and get the clean stainless look.... without spending a dime.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
The ones I have are showing rust at the swage. Ordered the kit from CD yesterday so decision has been made. Thanks for all of the input.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Just wanted to provide an update. I just replaced the lifelines on my C30 last week. Got the kit from CD. It took me about three hours total. The new arraignment of putting the pelican hook at the forward end of cockpit is a big improvement. The new pelican hook is so easy to use. I priced out everything beforehand and found I would only save less than a $100 dollars under CD's price, so I went for the kit. The only thing that makes it a pain is the manual crimper. You have to tighten two bolts to place the crimp. Each joint takes 5 crimps (total of 40) so its time consuming. The cutter supplied takes some oomph to cut through the cable. The boat looks so much better with the new vinyl coated lines.

wise4

Nov 10, 2011
Glad it worked out for you :)

We went with Amsteel synthetic and couldn't be happier... We also added a starboard gate with two new reinforced stanchions...

We don't race, so racing rules never play a role in our upgrade decisions ....

Status
Not open for further replies.