New Hunter e33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 31_83-87 San Francisco
Has anyone seen (or better yet sailed) the new e33? I have a serious interest in the boat based on the reviews, but no one on the Left Coast has one. I'm looking to see if one shows up at an upcoming boat show or at a dealer somewhere.

But if anyone has first hand knowledge, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,

- Richard

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I recall getting an email from the broker in Marina del Rey. I think they have one.

I looked at the factory site, and am amazed that I have to keep reminding myself this is a 33! What a great job of packaging.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Have been on one and examined it closely. I have only heard that it is fast and fun. There is no ventilation, the only opening ports are behind those slotted things aft. One is in the head and the other in the aft cabin. The hatches are those pressure fit type without frames. Here is a link to an earlier post on the e33: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=807325&highlight=e33

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
E33 from a different point of view

There is no ventilation, the only opening ports are behind those slotted things aft. One is in the head and the other in the aft cabin. The hatches are those pressure fit type without frames. Here is a link to an earlier post on the e33: http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=807325&highlight=e33
Ed: It is iinteresting about you view on ventilation. I agree with you. Most of the newer boats have fewer opening port/hatches. But this is what they have to say about that "more natural light & airflow"

But they are also better at "crashing into the beach" :snooty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkYrhpYJfk

Maybe no more smiles on Hunters?

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Go for it and let us know how you like it. Join the group of sailors who are infected with sailing and owning their own boats. We love ours.

Apr 15, 2009
C&C 30 Annapolis
Not a lot of opening ports on the cabin sides but three large hatches on the cabin top as well as ports in the hull and I believe another hatch in the cockpit.

MANLEY

Oct 14, 2011
Hunter 33e Oakville
Hunter e33

I am the new owner of a Hunter e33 hull #1. We took delivery of the boat last month and have sailed her close to a dozen times. The boat continues to impress both in terms of handling and speed. A few minor tweeks required, but that is to be expected. The dealer True North Yachts in Mississauga Ontario Canada has been great. Hunter sending up technicians end of the month to make boat perfect. Will answer questions on a best efforts basis.
Ralph

Jun 9, 2004
Hunter 29.5 Orange Beach, AL
checked it out.

Ed:
But they are also better at "crashing into the beach" :snooty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxkYrhpYJfk

Maybe no more smiles on Hunters?
Are the keelbolts that tender to grounding on sand? I'd better check mine because I have difficulty staying in my channel.:redface:

I was at the show in Annapolis a couple of weeks ago, and was aboard the e33. Sweet boat, but it seemed that all of the boats, no matter what the cost, suffered from a lack of ventilation. The only exception was the Island Packet. It had several of opening portlights instead of fixed, "picture windows". Obviously, most sailboat designers aren't from down here where summer nights can be like a sauna and any breeze is a blessing.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
Re: checked it out.

I think it's because so many boats are being sold with AC systems. I have the "33" and the ports and hatches were pretty good, except when it rains. The new E33 will probably have better head ventilation. That is where I think my boat falls short.

Mar 12, 2009
Hunter 306 Boston
I did have a chance to sail one of the first new Hunter e33 for 3 days.

My initial impression of the interior was, "I can't believe this is a 33 foot boat!" The interior is of great quality, much more like that of a larger boat. The solid wood floors (not laminate) and wood salon table give it a rich feel. Many new boats these days have a lot of plastic on the inside, I assume to keep costs low, but this boat went in the other direction.

I didn't have a problem with ventilation, as it has 4 opening hatches above and 3 ports on the side. I was a little thrown by the lack of a traditional nav station, but the fold-away nav table did provide more seating room.

You can see a video tour of the interior here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4_806Uxq8

I was really blown away by this boat under sail. Simply, it is fast! I was on a deep keel version, and the boat has a sail drive. The hull has a hard chine. This made the boat seem initially tender when the wind hit, but then it bit and felt quite stiff. I always thought the previous 33 was a pretty good performer, but this model is much faster. We were easily doing 7 knots in under 15 knots true win, and we weren't trying to push the boat. One day we were sailing alongside a Hunter e36 and it seemed we were just as quick.

I like the double-ended mainsheet for short-handed sailing. And the huge fold-down swim platform was nice. All in all I think this boat will be quite successful. It's quite a value for what you get. I don't another builder matching this value with anything on the market now.

BruceK

Jul 26, 2005
Hunter 33 Portland, ME
Manley...curious about the pricing..can't find a "price list" without getting my dealer's hopes up too soon..any chance you can share what you have? I curently own #498 H33 and my wife needs a stiffer boat and improved head area...and it looks like the 33e actually has one more opening port than my 33...anything you can share?

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 33 Seaside Park, NJ
Re: List price

The Annapolis Show flyer said Base Boat is $108,900, Freight & Commissioning is $10,900 = $119,800. The show price included the "Mariner Package" for free. That's In Mast Furling, Traveler on Arch, Refrigeration, Helm Sheeting, 29hp Engine Upgrade, ST60 Upgrade, Stereo, Folding Wheel, VHF Radio. The Hunter web site shows what equipment is included and what is optional.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
You guys don't think the frameless hatches are a problem? Just seems like "plexiglass" with no rigidity and a compression-only closing is asking for trouble. There is one parked directly in front of my boat and the ladder was there and I was tempted to give it another chance.

And what about that saildrive? I was looking at one on a newer Hanse. It was all corroded. And there was some kind of rubber cover that was coming off. An old salt I know says the Yanmar units are much better.

Attachments

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
The new 33 and E36 are very nice.... but Ed, could you really give up LadyLove after all your hard work....??? There are parts of your boat that are new...and better than the new boats..... although, I guess if Bruce said "Ed, just go ahead and take it"...it would be hard to turn down...

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I am the new owner of a Hunter e33 hull #1. We took delivery of the boat last month and have sailed her close to a dozen times. The boat continues to impress both in terms of handling and speed. A few minor tweeks required, but that is to be expected. The dealer True North Yachts in Mississauga Ontario Canada has been great. Hunter sending up technicians end of the month to make boat perfect. Will answer questions on a best efforts basis.
Ralph

Hey neighbour, welcome to the forum.

Nov 18, 2011
Hunter e33 Solent, UK
Ralph
Congratulations on hull #1! We have just taken delivery in the UK of a twin keel e33 and so far very impressed although we are still learning about it! We are not sure how we can tell what production build number she is however the hull number is USHUN33108H112. The one modification we have already have made is the redundant macerator switch which has been converted to being the master switch for the refrigerator. Any other tips or tweeks would be welcome.
Julie & Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.