New Hunter 34 owner needing help identifying items

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I recently purchased a 1984 Hunter 34 and have been going over it in an effort to learn all the systems. I have discovered a couple of items that I have no idea what they are. Can anyone identify these?

image.jpeg

This is hooked up to the DC side of one of the battery charger terminals and is mounted on the starboard side of the cockpit next to the wheel.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This I found in the battery compartment.

Thanks!

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
That is the emergency tiller. On my 31 a teak piece lifts up, you have to remove a cap on mine, and this allows you to insert the emergency tiller into the rudder post and use it as a tiller. The first thing looks like it may have been a connection for an old auto pilot. That's my gues anyway!

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
Thank you! The emergency tiller post got me to search a bit and I found some very interesting stories teaching the valuable lesson of learning where the emergency tiller is in your boat and how to use it! That will be the first thing I do next time down to the boat. The boat does have an auto pilot so that makes sense! Coming from the power boat world to my first sailboat, I'm sure I'll have many more questions. Thanks again!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
12 volt plug for auto pilot with water proof cap. Follow red/black wires back to circuit board to determine correct breaker.... or... hey.. it may already be marked on the panel.