New Hunter 33's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Windlass

Michael, If you want to get the windlass later, I imagine it might be les expensive than adding it as an option. I would be concerned that the wires are run. These are big wires from the batteries to the front of the boat and getting them in later might cost more than from the factory. I would ask and compare. You said you are in Santa Barbara. Is your boat being delivered in Santa Barbara or will it travel down the coast after delivery in the bay area? If it is traveling south, you might want the windlass in before you leave. The hole in the anchor well hatch exposes the top of the windlass, at least it does on my 356. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije II)

C

Chuck Wayne

33 windlass

michael, check with your dealer and hunter-we paid hunter-around $350- to have our 356 prewired for the windlass, so the dealer could add it later-but.. Hunter had a custom version of a std windlass made for the 356, and it took over a year to get one! good idea, but not worth the hassle!

M

Michael

Windlass

Dan, The boat is being delivered out of Marina Del Rey, I believe. I would enjoy bringing it down the coast - as I did with my existing Catalina 30. Thanks for the info. Michael

A

Andy

Re: Windlass

We got the windlass because it will be mostly my wife and I who sail. My wife was concerned about retreiving the anchor safely so we went with the windlass factory installed. After hearing about the potential wiring issues I'm glad I went with the factory install.

A

Andy

Cockpit vs Cabin for Radar Display

Not that I am made of money or anything but I was thinking that both spots had their benefits/drawbacks. That's why I asked and am thinking it makes sense to have a display in both places. I guess the question now is that technically feasible? I know that the H33 Raymarine components use Seatalk to communicate with each other, does this extend to their radar displays?... I guess I should go to the Raymarine site to find out... Also, any opinions on where to mount the radar dome? As I stated earlier I would think that the swept back spreaders would not be a good spot. Maybe I should call hunter... Sounds like my lunch hour is going to be full today.

J

Jim Smith

H33's, Radar and pictures of both *5

Andy, If you have not yet been to the Hunter Factory in Alachua, FL then you might be interested in the pictures on my web site of my visit and tour of the Hunter Factory this past February. I have many pictures of the H33 line with several boats in various stages of construction. I also have a pic of my boat and the location of the radome on the mast (on the homepage). The higher up the mast less you will "see" close in to your boat and the more you will lose on your leeward "vision" when heeled over (unless your radome is gimbaled). The lower down the mast the less distance you can "see". Raymarine (as do others) now have many models out were you can have a remote screen at the nav station as well as in the cockpit. The Radar/chartplotter is an awesome and powerful combo that (if you are looking to just hemorage cash) I would recommend. Given a limit on budget and having to make a choice, I'd strongly recommend that you pass on the remote screen at the nav station and spend your dollars on the radar/chart plotter combo with a 48km radar. My site is linked below. Go to the "Pictures" tab on the left (third one down), then select "Hunter Factory Tour" (again, third one down). Hope it helps :) Regards to all, -Jim- s/v Forever

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Radar

Andy, Raymarine does have some options wih the radar display possibilities. SeaTalk does not communicate radar information from one display to another. Raymarine uses the HSB bus for this. We have a dual installation in our boat. Primary radar RL70CRC is at the nav station and we have that hooked to a L760 with HSB at the helm. We can control all functions from either unit. Having both, we note that our use of the nav station unit is very low while sailing. I do still like having it there. When I go below to look at charts, or do some other task, I can keep an eye on targets, position, and frankly, anything else I want to watch. When at anchor, and depending upon the situation, I set the inside unit to do a few radar sweeps every so many minutes with an alarm if there is a hit. The charplotter function also has an anchor alarm (based on position) that I use in any anchoring situation when the radar is not beneficial. In fact, sometimes I set both. All you need is a Raymarine 18" scanner. The larger 24" unit would be nice, but if you opt for that, I don't think you will want to mast mount the unit. We have the 18" units mounted on a 290 and a 356. Larger would be too much in my opinion without going to a pole. On a boat over 40' it gets easier to accomodate the larger scanners. You probably should include a guard for the scanner in your planning if mast mounted. Count on another 200-300 dollars. We have not noticed any real problem tracking targets with our mast mounted unit close or far enough away to be usefull. We are not gimballed. We sailed through a large group of small fishing boats (mostly 14-18 foot runabouts) this past Saturday and they all showed prominently on the radar and some were as close as a couple hundred feet. It was a useful exercise as my wife has expressed an interest in understanding the radar and it was nice and clear where the targets could be related to the display. And, that is exactly how you want to learn how to use it. Don't use it the first time when you really need it. Finally, make sure you understand exactly how the equipment is going to work before you make the investment. Some of the new Raymarine displays will not communicate with each other like the HSB bus. If you wind up with one of those and want to expand later, you might not be able to. Have fun with it. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije II)

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Dan, seriously, that's the best explanation I've

seen. You need to keep a copy in a safe place. Again, good job.

A

Andy

Thanks everybody

These posts have been very helpful. Once my boat is delivered I will keep everybody appraised.

C

Captn Dare

radar mount

Andy, In regards to a mast mount for the radar scanner, look up Kato Marine Metals in Annapolis. They make a georgous SS mount that fits the selden spar and incorporates a guard to keep lines from fouling.

B

Barry

Binacle Guardrail

Our new 33 is being commissioned this week and we have identified several items to be aware of. Notice I don't say "problems" because they are not. First is the guardrail over the binacle - we added a Navpod to hold a C80 chartplotter and found the rail to be too short. The solution is an extended rail - the factory will be listing this as an option. The second issue is where to put an ST60 repeater at the nav station. We are still debating our choices on this one. We can build a wood box or use a single instrument Navpod pivoting on a 1" stainless rail. I am happy to report the dealer (Norton's) has been great to work with in getting answers to these and other questions. We should be sailing in May! Barry Bear Necessity #128

A

Andy

Re: Binacle Guardrail

Hmmm...I was going to add a chart plotter/Radar combo (probably the C80) later this year. My boat is already on the way so it is too late for me to change to an extended binacle now. Did you change to the larger binacle after delivery? If you did, how much was it? I definately don't remember that as an option when ordering my boat last December.

G

Gary Aberer

33 on SF Bay

We purchased our 33 in Feb.04 and have it in charter service on the SF Bay with Club Nautique in Sausalito. We took delivery in the middle of April and have only been able to sail a couple of times but the sailing was great. On our first outing we crossed the "Slot" with the main only and second reef with wind speed of 26 knots. We were doing 6 knots without attempting to get any more than across the bay. The 33 seemed very stable. So far, we are very happy with our Hunter.

B

Barry

Andy

Good and Bad news- Bad news - when the "tall" guardrail arrived from Hunter it was the same as the original from the factory. Good news- my dealer is going to fabricate the same sectioned rail as seen on the 36 for my boat. Knowing what I do about Hunter, they will add this fix to their offering. They may even go back to Lewmar and ask them to provide this as an option. I don't see any other way to add a chartplotter at the helm and not cover the top two instruments on the lower binacle pod. One week from sailing. Barry Bear Necessity

B

Barry

Oven

Anybody else order the stove/oven unit? Last weekend I noticed the countertop wood trim went right across the front of the oven controls. I'm thinking of asking the dealer to cut it off in front of the oven. Any thoughts? Barry Bear Necessity

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Binnacle

I think the pedastal/binnacle is similar on the 33 and 356/36. It isn't the cheapest solution but I've included a picture of what we did to solve the problem of adding a chartplotter/radar without covering the top instruments. We had a new one bent to our specifications. Pain in the you know what to install too. I do not know what Hunter was thinking when they designed the system the way it is delivered. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije II)

B

Barry

Dan try again

Dan your phot was a no-show. Please try again. Thanks, Barry

Feb 26, 2004
Hunter 356 Alameda
Picture

Don't know what to tell you. It worked when I looked at it after loading. Now it does not. Dan Jonas (S/V Feije II)

J

Jack

Oven

I looked at my new 33 and it is the same as Barry's. I also looked at each side of the oven and at the top there is some unfinshed wood that would be exposed if the front trim was cut off. I remember that hull no.1 had trim around the inside but that would make it impossible to take the oven out with out removing the trim. The trim sure is in the way of the controls. I will have to think about a solution and am open to other ideas.

B

bill

barrier coat coast

Hi, I am finishing a barrier coat job on an h28. If doing it yourself, cost of barrier coating,4 gal@ $60/gal on sale. A sander to prep the hull, oh yeah if you have to remove the bottom paint, well there is that expense too. Then a whole bunch of time. It is really looking good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.