New House Batteries! Yay!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just picked up my new house batts, two Trojan SCS200 Deep Cycle Marine, 115Ah, group 27 batteries. I would have gone with golf car batts, but they wouldn't fit.

Fortunately there's a Trojan distributor nearby, and I picked them up. They were $263.50 each plus state sales tax. He let me give him one group 27 and a couple of oddball junk batts for the core charge.

These are impressive! The marketing literature is impressive, of course, with all of their proprietary technology, but their weight is impressive, too, at 60lb.

I learned a lot!

They are date code E18, so manufactured in May of 2018, with an "H18" sticker on the pod caps, which I take to mean that the electrolyte was added this month. They were at about 80% state of charge, at 12.48V, and the water level seemed low to me, 'though it covered the plates.

Reading the very good documentation from Trojan I learned the level goes up and down with charge, and to not add water until fully charged (as long as the plates are covered). I didn't know that!

The SCS200 specific data specify a charge voltage (Accept) of 14.8, float of 13.2, and equalize of 15.5. This is important, as their generic battery care docs call for a 16.2V equalization.

I charged at 14.4V, as that's what the charger I have at home does, and then equalized at 15.5V for 2 hours. Of course, my hydrometer and refractometer are on the boat, so I couldn't measure SG. (Can you use an anti-freeze hydrometer for this?) That was last night. Today the batteries (in parallel) sit at 12.92V.

Once charged the water level is up, perhaps even too high in most cells. It's supposed to be 1/8" below the vent well. One cell on each seems a tad low. I will make a 'dipstick' of rubber hose, per their recommendation, as it's really hard to tell by eye exactly where it is.

I have a good feeling about these, as it took a few hours to fully charge from 80%. My current, probably highly sulfated, house batts would be done in 20 minutes from there.

Also, I measure charge and equalization voltages at the battery terminals. It's important to run large enough gauge wire that is well terminated when charging at these levels. I was drawing upwards of 15 to 20 Amps in Accept mode.

This will give me about 115Ah useable, which I think is adequate for my needs.

jv

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
All the best with your new house bank! :)
Thank you! I knew you would appreciate it.

I'm going to have one of the yard kids help me do the swap. Planning on Saturday morning. Then I will re-program the Link-2000R. I can't get that to perfectly match the bank, due to the Trojan recommended charge and float voltages, but close enough, I think. If I float a lot I'lll just keep my eye on the water.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Installed the batts on the boat. One great aspect of the Trojans are the terminals. They are "DWNT," or dual wing nut terminals . But in addition to the wing nut studs, they also have two tapered terminals for conventional top post battery terminals on each. My boat was wired with these, and this makes things very convenient.

Following the Trojan instructions, I fully charged them at home, equalized them, and installed them. I haven't yet charged them on-board, and I have to reprogram my Link 200R for a 14.8V Accept charge voltage (per Trojan).

I also ordered, and will receive today, a Flow-Rite battery watering system. This will allow me to water the batteries without taking the aft bunk apart, which is a pain. I got a dual 12V kit for the house bank, the 2 Trojans and a single 12V kit for the engine battery, plus the hand pump kit, which is a squeeze bulb, tubing, and quick-connects.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I'm very jealous. I've been reading and researching and geeking on various batteries (almost all Trojan) until my eyes are bleeding. And yet I still hesitate to make the purchase, since our splash date is still 12-18 months away, and over two years before we cut the dock lines. I want them as fresh as possible when that time comes.

You should post pics of yours, to help me get through this! :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I've been reading and researching and geeking on various batteries (almost all Trojan) until my eyes are bleeding.
If you have the height try to avoid the automotive case sizes .... The GC2's (T105 etc. ), GC12's (T1275's & J150's), L16's, J185's etc.. have a lab cycle life rating of nearly double the G-24, 27 or 31's... In other words create the height, if you can...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
If you have the height try to avoid the automotive case sizes ....
I only have about 11.5" of height to work with, sadly.

Albin chose to put the Vega's batteries in a compartment in the top of the keel/bilge. Great for center of ballast, not great at all if I ever shipped 30-ish+ gallons of seawater into the cabin all at once, and filled up the bilge. PLUS the batteries are forcibly aligned fore-and-aft.

I have to decide if I'm going to leave them there, or move them 8' forward and 18" higher, into a locker under the V berth ... where I might gain 1/2" of height. I would gain a bit more footprint though, and a drier location, while sacrificing COB.

The best batteries I can find, given the height limitation, would probably be a pair of six-volt SSIG 06 290's, providing about 133 Ah of actual usable capacity. (The energy budget calls for 77Ah daily, with 300 watts of solar and a 40A alternator.) If I move the batteries forward, it might open up a few more options, but not many. Seems like all the best batteries are taller. :(

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If you have the height try to avoid the automotive case sizes
Unfortunately in the Tartan 3800 the battery compartment is severely height constrained. Can't think of another place I'd like to put them, where there's height and won't cause a list, and/or require very long cables. So, it's group 27's for me.

The Trojans seem great. I don't think I will ever want to run the engine at the mooring long enough to fully charge them, so solar is in the near future.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Update on this. I fully charged the batts before haul out at the end of October. Yesterday I went to Westport because the weather was so mild, and I found my house batts nearly fully discharged, about 11.8V. I didn't have time yesterday, so today I went back and brought them home. They're charging now, and will be equalized after that.

Lesson: disconnect the batts! There are parasitic loads that will drain them.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Yes, but what are those loads? Do you know? Solar sounds right up your alley.

Question: Link 2000R,
and I have to reprogram my Link 200R for a 14.8V Accept charge voltage
What is your charger on board? It's been awhile, so I forgot what gear you have. The 2000R includes the regulator, so I conclude you're adjusting this voltage for the regulator to control the AO. Is this correct?

Glad to hear you're making progress. :)

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I say this over, and over, and over, and over, perhaps a 100 times if not more and yet batteries still get murdered.......:wink: Hopefully the cold weather protected them some..

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I say this over, and over, and over, and over, perhaps a 100 times if not more and yet batteries still get murdered.......:wink: Hopefully the cold weather protected them some..
They are fine, I brought them home, charged them, equalized them. They had only been on the boat slowly discharging for about a month, from full to 11.8V. I assume there's no serious damage. Since I charged and equalized them on 12/5 or so they are holding around 12.75V.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Yes, but what are those loads? Do you know? Solar sounds right up your alley.

Question: Link 2000R,

What is your charger on board? It's been awhile, so I forgot what gear you have. The 2000R includes the regulator, so I conclude you're adjusting this voltage for the regulator to control the AO. Is this correct?

Glad to hear you're making progress. :)
Solar wouldn't help in this case, the boat was in the barn! The boat's on a mooring, the only charging is via the Freedom 10/Link 2000R and the matching regulator. Yes, the accept voltage recommened by Trojan is 14.8V, and when set on the Link controls the alternator.