New home built woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottS

Dec 26, 2012
Beneteau 285 Lake Norman, NC
I don't see any rigging or a mast. Is this supposed to be a sailboat?

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
Yes. It does have chainplates and a traveler so I am sure rigging is in the plan.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
The wheel looks a little odd, do you have to climb over it?
To each his own. I'd rather be sailing than spending 3 decades building a boat.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
There is a traveler in front of the wheel you have to step over. Not sure why it has such a dramatic arc to it though.

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
There is a traveler in front of the wheel you have to step over. Not sure why it has such a dramatic arc to it though.
Looks a little dangerous. I would imagine when rigged you'd have the main sheet right in front of you in the cockpit. To get over you would have to stand up on the seats, maybe have your head level with the boom. Not a good idea.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, I like it. Very traditional, and a wonderful day boat. I know men like that. Would just as soon work on one as sail it. When the show wears off of it, he'll start another one. hehe..

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I like it, too, and he appears to have built her very solid ... notice how he props his foot up against the stanchion? No worries about the backing there, I suppose. The traveler arch looks more like it was done for aesthetics than function ... in fact the whole boat looks like it was done for the aesthetics (in the builder's tastes).

The shame of it is that it took almost 30 years to create and it could possibly take far less time than that for the entire finish to be destroyed by the elements and neglect if he doesn't spend a ton of money to maintain her or make it a full time job of it! It's a good thing he has a heated barn to store here in for show, because that is were it is likely to be kept to keep her looking so beautifully! Chances are, she'll end up a museum piece or a derelict in a relatively short time. It might be sad to see the outcome.

Jul 8, 2012
Catalina 28 North East
WHat a great job! Maybe it is art for arts sake, perhaps one day soon it will sail. Regardless it is a terrific expression of creativity that deserves applause.
I will guess that men who build wooden sailboats are impervious to their critics and have a greater appreciation of varnish and decay than most.
This guy put a jacuzzi tub in his v berth! Visionary or kook, that is pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.