New headsail...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
Here in the Midwest, the Spring weather has arrived, albeit a little late this year. Last night, 70mph straight-line winds blew through our marina and managed to unfurl our headsail and render it blotto (actual sailing term). In spite of the sheets being cleated in the anchor locker and the furling line also cleated, the damage occurred. My question is, having never had to purchase a sail for this boat, where would I find the best deal? Since we are lake-bound and do not race, hi-tech is not a requirement. Thank you, in advance, for your advice.
Doug.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I've had good experience with UK Halsey sails.

We have a local rep who has a boat right in our marina so it made it very easy

Not that it helps after the fact but I put a tie on the sail to prevent un rolling. Learned that lesson many years ago when a bad storm came through and some of the boats in the marina had their head sails unroll. A 150 Jenny flailing in a 40 mph wind is a scary sight.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
You can shop with any sailmaker to find the best price (but you get what you pay for). I would think insurance would pay for the sail if a storm damaged it, so price might not be such an issue anyway. Many times a sailmaker might not have a loft that close to you in which case you can go to a sailboat dealer, who also is a sail dealer and he can help you with your choice of sailmaker and material, etc. Or you can go to any sailmaker's web site and tell them what you want for quotes and they will guide you as to who your closest dealer is, or they can ship the sail to your door from where ever. Lots of times, the sail is made somewhere else than where the sailmaker's office is anyway.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
Doug, I purchased sails from Somerset Sail in NY in the past and was very pleased with the price and quality. If I needed to replace the sails on our 356 this is who I would talk to.

They are made on site in a small sail loft, you deal direct with the sail maker not a salesman. This I think results in better communications and you will know what the options are. Martin can explain the advantages or disadvantages of different options, choice of fabric, how it is cut, options for sun protection etc.

I found it best to use a telephone for communications rather than email.

good luck, Bob

May 29, 2011
Hunter H 240 rehoboth beach , De
sail replacement

Doug
Another good sail loft is Mack sails in florida.Top quality,good prices,made on premises.Travis can guide you for the right sail,thus a smooth transaction.I just had a new verticle batten main sail made for our H356.I know of other hunter owners that have used Mack in the past.
Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.