new headliner or just paint the ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vincent

hi i have a 28 year old seidelmann 37 the head liner is moldy and coming down in so many spots , especialy in the v-berth . i am thinking of ripping it all out and painting it. any good ideas out there . thanks roundhouse

TimCup

Jan 30, 2008
Catalina 22 St. Pete
very recent archive

Vincent- your exact question came up within the last 2 weeks, maybe less. There were several (maybe a dozen or more?) replies from sailors that had redone their headliners. Check the archive- alot of good responses. Fair Winds tim

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
S37 Headliner

In exactly the same boat, with the exact same boat. Nice play on words. :) I have just about decided that what I am going to do is to install a fiberglassed reinforced white plastic. It is 13 bucks a sheet at Home Depot. Should be much easier to clean and take care of than a painted surface. It is really a nice, high gloss textured finish, so should brighten up the inside of the boat, and not have any glare problems with the semi rough finish. Fairing the ceiling out, and then painting would be too labor intensive for me, although I think I will do that in the V berth area. Planning on doing the sides too, but still undecided what to use. Don't care much for the vinyl's I am seeing. Keep us posted as to what you decide to do, and how it turns out. I will do the same.

Marcia

Mar 26, 2007
Paceship Yachts PY23 Cove Marina, NAB, Norfolk VA
Rip it out....

then live with it a little while. Use your imagination to picture a painted surface or another headliner. Our boat's previous owners put in a nice tongue and groove wood ceiling. Looks great, but to access any of the deck hardware bolts I have to disassemble the boards one by one.

K

knightlife

headliner s 37

I ripped the liner out and painted it white it look fine to me.

V

vincent

rip it out

thanks everyone, i am going to rip out the v-berth first, clean it up . remove all the foam , some patching around the hatch area, then i can paint it or some thing else. any thing is better than what is there now, thanks again , vincent, roundhouse...

Sep 19, 2006
SCHOCK santana27' lake pleasant,az
if you go to an upholstrysupply house

you can get a foam backed head liner material thats very light weight and breaths very well so it wont mildew or use backless carpet( the stuff dash mats are made of) :D

Feb 18, 2008
Seidelmann 295 Forked River
me too!

I had the same conditions in a 1986 Seidelmann 295 that I am refurbishing. Although it was a lot of work, I removed the lining in total throughout the entire boat, down to the fiberglass, including the side liner. It was so worth the effort, and left me with "a blank canvas" to work with. I have looked at over 30 boats to compare the various types of coverings used by manufacturers, and it basically comes down to a matter of personal taste. Being in the northeast, I am opting for something with an R value, rather than a sheet extrusion product. Unfortunately, the fatal flaw in Seidelmann boats is the foam backing on an otherwise quality liner. With time, the foam breaks down to a powder, the adhesive which held the liner up by means of adhering to the foam becomes useless as the foam separates from the liner itself. The effort required to do it right is well worth it, and regardless of what you replace the liner with, the finished product makes the boat "look like new". One final tip, leave the fiberglass bare long enough for a good rain soaking of the boat, locate and identify the source of any leaks, and deal with them before you install the replacement liner material.This will insure that the underside of whatever you do use remains high and dry, and the lifetime of the liner will be significantly longer.Good luck, and keep us posted! Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.