New Head

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Finished the conversion from the old Porta-Potty to a real head over the weekend, decided to save $ and went with the Jabsco Twist and Lock instead of the Raritan PHC, even though I know it will likely last longer / less maintenance, but I don't live aboard, won't be using it that much, and I hope to upgrade to a bigger boat in the next few years so this should work well enough.

Only problem is the discharge elbow doesn't work well with a straight discharge out the back, and had a real hell of a time getting the hose on there. From what I can tell there is no option for a straight discharge fitting from Jabsco. :( If anyone knows of one, I would love to know of it!

20140412_175704_Android.jpg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Nice installation but cannot say the same about your choice of head. Had one of those and went through two pump assemblies as they would start leaking and had a total rebuild all within 5 years. Hope you have better luck.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm doing the exact same upgrade.

I have one of that some model in my shed. I hope to install it this Spring as soon as things slow down a bit at work. Where did you buy your holding tank and other parts (hose, valves etc).

I've been pricing options on-line and they seem way over priced .... but.... I guess this is one of those things you MUST do correctly or pay the consequences...:eek:

If you have more photos of your installation, I'd love to see them. And any other bits of wisdom.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I'm doing the exact same upgrade.

I have one of that some model in my shed. I hope to install it this Spring as soon as things slow down a bit at work. Where did you buy your holding tank and other parts (hose, valves etc).

I've been pricing options on-line and they seem way over priced .... but.... I guess this is one of those things you MUST do correctly or pay the consequences...:eek:

If you have more photos of your installation, I'd love to see them. And any other bits of wisdom.
All discharge hoses are Trident, Peggy was pretty clear that they make the best hose for non-permeation of odor, so that's what I went with, cost be damned. Flushing raw water intake is the Shields VHD. I wanted to use Trident there too, but a small confusion on my part left me with a large supply of 1" hose to install on a bunch of 3/4" fittings, so I instead went to WM and picked up what they had in stock instead of having the Trident shipped. Besides the intake hose shouldn't have any odor permeation to worry about anyway. I will save the extra 1" Trident 102 for the tank vents.

All hose clamps are all the solid, non perforated SS ones, I picked most of them up at Defender during the spring sale, some I had left over from past projects.

The Y valve is the Jabsco unit you can find at any number of places, I looked at the Forespar Marelon ones, but the hose fittings were so short I didn't see how I could get enough hose on them to trust the hose clamps. Before the boat goes in the water I still need to put a 2nd host clamp on all the fittings.

I haven't actually completed the holding tank yet, it's only plumbed as far as the Y valve and the overboard discharge (which I tested with a gallon jug of water and nothing leaked:dance:). I plan to use Ronco for the tank for the same reason as the Trident hose, they are not supposed to permeate smell, but I haven't entirely figured out where I am going to put it, so it's hard to order a tank before you are certain where it will be located. I have 2 spots I'm considering, but I still need to measure everything out to see how much tank space I can get out of them. I wanted to get this part done so I could know how the plumbing was going to look since the hose run will actually dictate part of the decision on placement of the tank.