New halyard on Selden in-mast furling mainsail

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I have a Hunter 38 with Selden in-mast furling mainsail. I got new jib and main sails, yay! I want to install a new halyard too. The halyard has a spliced eye secured to the furler swivel by what appears to be a clevis captured by a split pin. I can remove the split pin (removed in pics below) but the clevis can't easily be removed. I tried pushing the pin by hand away from the mast opening. Also tried pushing by hand from the opposite side towards the mast opening. I tried pushing the pin away from the opening with a little more force by apply needle nose pliers to the visible end of the clevis. The clevis rotates easily in position so I don't believe it is seized or corroded. It is a delicate operation because of the tight space and I don't want to drop the clevis down into the mast.

The Selden manual for furling mast is silent on attaching the halyard. Please share your secret if you've installed a halyard on this type of furler. Pics below.

IMG_0729.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
It's been awhile since I looked at this but isn't there an access on the opposite side of the mast a bit higher up? You should be able to remove the pin from the other side of the mast by moving the car higher. Recommend tieing a iece of light line to the car so it doesn't drop down.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Just a question, why are you replacing the halyard, with in mast furling the halyard is almost never exposed to UV and it appears the line is Dyneema or equivalent?

It appears that the halyard should have been attached to a clevis and clevis around the pin you are attempting to remove. Once the captured cotter pin is removed the other pin should just pull out as there is nothing on the other end of it.

You may need one of these to put in the hole of the pin to pull it out

Attachments

Last edited:

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Just a question, why are you replacing the halyard, with in mast furling the halyard is almost never exposed to UV and it appears the line is Dyneema or equivalent?
I bought the boat last November and have been systematically replacing all the running rigging. Most ropes were serviceable but on the last part of service life. The main halyard is HMPE with a polyester cover. It appears to be at least 10 years old on a 15 year old boat. My concern is material fatigue due to heat and weather exposure not UV or abrasion. Particularly where the line runs through sheaves, turning blocks, organizers and clutches. Probably overly conservative, but it's my peace of mind.

It appears that the halyard should have been attached to a clevis and clevis around the pin you are attempting to remove. Once the captured cotter pin is removed the other pin should just pull out as there is nothing on the other end of it.

You may need one of these to put in the hole of the pin to pull it out
Thanks for the parts list resource! I have saved that doc to my library. My swivel resembles the RB/RC Mark III model. This confirms it should slide out from the side with the split pin. I'll apply some lube and tie a line through the pin hole to see if that gives me leverage to remove it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a Hunter 38 with Selden in-mast furling mainsail. I got new jib and main sails, yay! I want to install a new halyard too. The halyard has a spliced eye secured to the furler swivel by what appears to be a clevis captured by a split pin. I can remove the split pin (removed in pics below) but the clevis can't easily be removed. I tried pushing the pin by hand away from the mast opening. Also tried pushing by hand from the opposite side towards the mast opening. I tried pushing the pin away from the opening with a little more force by apply needle nose pliers to the visible end of the clevis. The clevis rotates easily in position so I don't believe it is seized or corroded. It is a delicate operation because of the tight space and I don't want to drop the clevis down into the mast.

The Selden manual for furling mast is silent on attaching the halyard. Please share your secret if you've installed a halyard on this type of furler. Pics below.

View attachment 198543

View attachment 198544
Here is the simple answer
You pull the pin; not push it.
Remove the cotter pin, and it simply pulls out.
Don’t feel bad… it originally puzzled me as well

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
Here is the simple answer
You pull the pin; not push it.
Remove the cotter pin, and it simply pulls out.
Don’t feel bad… it originally puzzled me as well
Right you are! I was able to. pass a small line through the hole in the clevis and pull it out. It came out relatively easy once it could apply some force in the appropriate direction. The old halyard splice was tired and distressed (see below). The HMPE is Dyneema or similar and degraded even though it is relatively protected inside the mast. It was time to replace it and I have complete confidence in the halyard now.
IMG_0769.JPG