NEW GLUE!! 5 second FIX. To die for!

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Hi all. I ran across a real great glue to use. Its called 5 sec fix. Its the same glue your dentist uses on your teeth and it's cured with a UV Lite. I have tested this on little cracks (fiberglass) and I will give it 5 STARS. The nice thing is you can rub it into cracks then cure it with UV light. Also use on cables to seal ends of wires to keep moisture OUT. This has many applications and usages. I purchased from Wally's $9.99. Caution!! company "ONTEL" only tested. Capt. ROB
5_sec_fix.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I keep seeing TV commercials for some kind of miracle glue ("Lazer Bond") that also a UV light.

FWIW, my dentist (all dentists, I guess) uses some sort of UV-activated adhesive to attach dental crowns. The fact a glued-on crown can stay in your mouth for years and years never ceases to amaze me.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
When used on cracks does it make them also disappear or does it just seal them up and dry clear?

Is it truly waterproof after curing?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
These "pens" are sold under a bunch of brand names...I bought one at Bed Bath & Beyond. This technology does work--at least to mend a handle that broke off a mug. I haven't tried it on polyethylene yet, so I don't know if it'll mend a cracked fitting in a holding tank. The issue there is whether the "glue" will bond (stick to) to PE...nothing else does, at least not permanently.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I wouldn't count on this product being a "miracle fix" to repair leaks and adhesion problems, especially in critical marine applications. Unfortunately composite resin materials used in the dental setting can debond, leak, & crack. Resin restorative materials provide an acceptable level of longevity; however, they don't last forever and some can & do fail prematurely.
As a rule of thumb, the higher the particulate concentration in composite resins, the harder and more resistant to fracture & wear, the material will be. An unfilled resin material, such as the "5 second fix" is really not that strong. Unfilled resins are typically placed inside a tooth where it penetrates into microscopic tubules within the tooth structure to form a mechanical and chemical bond. The light cured resin liner simply serves as an interface to which the stronger filled composite resins are bonded. Most of these materials are light activated to polymerize/harden. Unfilled resins are just not strong enough to tolerate much stress. Most of the materials used to cement crowns are dual cured; they self cure and UV light exposure accelerates the cure time. If there is insufficient tooth structure to retain a crown or filling and if the preparations are over tapered, these resin materials will not compensate for the deficiencies; the restoration will fail prematurely.
Again, I wouldn't use this product over tried and proven materials in critical marine applications. I would compare it to the cyanoacrylates like "super glue" ; It might be good for home applications, but probably not the best for marine use. If it fails on a critical area on your boat, you lose the boat!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
On a related note, I learned crazy glue is great way to seize the ends of dyneema line. ;)

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Does it come with that cool Stargazer II hat? ;) Can you use it in direct sunlight without it getting hard in 5 seconds?

Apr 26, 2014
Oday 34 Cape coral yacht basin
Gorilla has a 5 minute set epoxy. It is a 2 part mix and if you are in a hot climate, have things ready to fit together. I have used it on some exterior parts like a section of my rub rail was coming loose, it has held for 6 months now.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
NOTICE: The brand MFG is very important here. Yes there is a few knockoffs out there and on TV too! That's why I am telling you the brand that I personally tested to be of quality. The first one purchased was "LASOR BOUND".. and failed to bond properly.. So this is why Im showing you the package and the name of company. So far under UV lite or SUN for 6 months..no problems found. FAQ!
1. Would I use below waterline... NO Not yet still testing.
2. Would I to fix most plastics ... Yes!
3. Can you add pigment to it.. like white..blue..etc. I'm in testing now! I have a few spots on deck that could use to fill with.
4. Can I use this on electrical wires...Yes!
5. Can I use it on my sails.. Yes! to stop tearing.. just rub/massage into fabric and hit with UV lite. Also, to stop freighting too with no fire.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Well, the AS SEEN ON TV on the front pretty much says all I need to know about this product. ;)