New forum preview (website version)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Below are some screen captures from the new forum. As you'll see, the color are different and stuff like that, but the controls are in the same place. There's a familiarity about it.

Finally, a readable login screen.
laptop-login.png
The main forum page with menus open.
laptop-main.png
Main page with menus closed
laptop-menus-collapsed.png
Forum thread list
laptop-forum-menu.png
Reply controls
Image-reply-controls.jpg
A post
laptop-post.png
laptop-new-stuff.png
Preferences menu
laptop-prefs.png

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks pretty good.. Will I still have the "New (Legacy)" option or equivalent that shows new posts and ongoing replies on one page.? I really like that format..

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Is there a place where one could try using it? A different URL? a different port?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Looks pretty good.. Will I still have the "New (Legacy)" option or equivalent that shows new posts and ongoing replies on one page.? I really like that format..
Yes, yes, yes. Pleeze...:)

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Unfortunately, we can't open the staging site to everyone due to licensing terms.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The one with the threads on the left and replies on the right? I hadn't planned on it but yes, we can. We already have the code.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Thanks, Phil! Saves time scanning through stuff, especially if I've been off line a while.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It appeared that the system was set to display the first unread. It also allowed you to use the date of the last poster to jump to that message. Or jump to the messages in the thread of a poster by clicking the name.

There are some hidden features to discover in the new forum.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
So, um, what is wrong with the current system driving the change?

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
So, um, what is wrong with the current system driving the change?
Not a thing... yet. The current forum software is unsupported as of June 2019, which means no further development, security patches, etc. Meanwhile, operating systems drive changes to development languages and sooner than you'd think, functions start breaking down.

We hung onto vBulletin 3 as long as we possibly could. Some systems began to fail and a couple of months after we migrated off of it there was a massive data breach of many VB3 installations.

This upgrade lets us stay ahead of potential problems and also allows us to have a mobile app, which was impossible with the version you see now.