New forestay before furler install?

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I have purchased a Schaefer Snapfurl furler for my 1998 240, and will be installing this spring. Boat has never had a furler before. Thinking I should replace the forestay prior to installing the furler- it is in great shape, freshwater only, but is 15 years old. If so, I recall some discussion about the upper attachment and failures due to the foil putting added stress on the wire. Does anyone have the specifics on the recommended hardware? Also could use a recommendation for a rigger- no one local here for that sort of work.
Will also be getting a new RF jib- seems like the sail loft here is the place to go.
Thanks, Dave

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I had to replace my forestay due to a broken furler foil connector, which caused me to have to cut off the swaged fitting and thsu shorten the stay too much to reuse. I bought stainless wire and Hayn Hi-Mod fittings, which you can install onto the wire yourself. Or there are online riggers who will swage on one end and then you can install the other with a Hayn (or similar) eye. Obviously, if you have to have both ends swaged on, it will be tricky to have that done on the foil and then get it home.

LarryH

May 5, 2010
Hunter 260 Palm Beach County
Great choice...i installed the same furler on my Hunter 260 and iam very happy with it. I replaced the forestay and it was only about $75 to have one made. I love how its easy to remove the jib if needed. I also hated that plastic piece covering the forestay on the CDI curler...it was the worst!

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Forestay replacement

If you re going to replace forestay think about adding this at mast,take alot of strain off t-ball fitting.Did it on my 23.5

Attachments

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Re: Forestay replacement

I replaced my forestay when I added my new furler. I didn't know its age

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been some time since I worked with the Schaffer system Profurl I think is the name, so I am rusty. As for the CDI as well as Profurl, some like either one or both. They are good systems but the only concern when trailering a lot, you have to remove the jib as the use of the jib halyard is required with the Profurl while the CDI system has it own internal halyard which saves a lot of time in setting up and tear down if trailering a lot. One other thing, the halves on the Profurl moved when setting the mast up or down. Not sure if this was ever an issue but again Profurl is a good system.

I am not sure if the forestay has to be modified but if so, I used norsman fittings that anyone can put on. In fact, I have always carried a norseman fitting as an emergency backup in the event that the turnbuckle is bent or the wiring at the end of the stud has frayed. However, if you feel uncomfortable with a 15 year old forestay, then get a new one. I have always said better to err on the side of safety but if even only one strand is broken, automatically replace the stay.

Dave Condon

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
Crazy Dave is correct about the Profurl not having an internal halyard. It's no big deal for trailering since I take the mast down with the jib still furled and securely wrapped on the furler.

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the advice- I have the Schaefer Snapfurl. I leave the boat on a mooring for the season, so using the jib halyard is not a problem- will be removing the sail anyway, and can use the halyard for mast raising. Will probably replace the forestay.

Feb 18, 2011
Sent my old forestay down to Seco South to have a new one made with the upper toggle as shown in DJN51's photo. They are having trouble locating a T-ball fitting with an eye to make the toggle. Does anyone know a source or part number for this fitting?

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Annapolis Performance Sailing .Com all sizes about $20.00.Carry all the t-ball plugs

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for both leads! Looks like it is a Navtec NT74305 for my 5/32" forestay. Will pass these along to Seco. Really appreciate the help!

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for both leads! Looks like it is a Navtec NT74305 for my 5/32" forestay. Will pass these along to Seco. Really appreciate the help!
Received the new forestay for my Hunter 240 from Seco South. They did a nice job with the upper toggle using the Navtec eye, and cost was very reasonable ($67 plus shipping). Highly recommend Seco- ask for Jean and she will take care of you! Thanks to all for the help.

Attachments

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Received the new forestay for my Hunter 240 from Seco South. They did a nice job with the upper toggle using the Navtec eye, and cost was very reasonable ($67 plus shipping). Highly recommend Seco- ask for Jean and she will take care of you! Thanks to all for the help.
glad to see you used these people don't think it gets much better than them ..they have a wealth of experience and equipment along with a great attitude....oh and the products are good too.....

regards

woody