New first 305

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
Soooooo, I have a crazy idea... I’ve been doing some reading and research. I think my (potential) boat likes the baby stay all the time. I’ll probably have to get one of those tube thingies for it (yes that is an actual nautical term). Then, it looks like you only need the checkstays when running hard with the wind but they kinda help all the time. Would I be completely out of my mind if I got a couple of extra jib cars and brought the check stays straight down and slightly aft from the Mast? It would be kinda like aft spreaders until I actually need the stability. Anyway, I take the boat out on a sea trial next week. I’ll know more then.

Sorry for all the questions... I’ve never ran a boat that has inline spreaders and all the extra stays.

Thanks,
Juice

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Any stay or shroud loading is based on geometry. The wider the angle the less the tention. Check stays are relatively lightly loaded because they are so far back. Bring them closer and they’re gonna be highly loaded. While the rig was not necessarily designed for them originally. You may want to involve A rigger if you want to get serious about this.

Apr 7, 2016
Or, I can decide it was a bad idea... I’ll have to add that to the list of future and not likely projects.

Apr 7, 2016
While the rig was not necessarily designed for them originally. You may want to involve A rigger if you want to get serious about this.
I just reread this... are you saying the first 305 wasn’t originally designed with check stays? They look pretty official. I’d rather not mess with them if I don’t have to. I don’t have any plans for racing anytime soon.

Apr 7, 2016
Marco? I’ve looked at other 305s online and most have the checkstays. Although I haven’t seen any YouTube videos (whatever they are worth) using them.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I just reread this... are you saying the first 305 wasn’t originally designed with check stays? They look pretty official. I’d rather not mess with them if I don’t have to. I don’t have any plans for racing anytime soon.
No, I said 'not necessarily' because I didn't know. While I've been on a 305 that didn't have them, I know Berret uses them on most the the masthead boats he designed for Beneteau in that era. I would not be surprised at all if they were standard or optional from the factory.

Apr 7, 2016
No, I said 'not necessarily' because I didn't know. While I've been on a 305 that didn't have them, I know Berret uses them on most the the masthead boats he designed for Beneteau in that era. I would not be surprised at all if they were standard or optional from the factory.
Gotcha! I’ve started to see more of them when I walk the docks. Most everyone just has them tucked away.

Apr 7, 2016
Good morning! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I’m back with a couple more questions and I’ll drop it (well maybe not). I did the sea trial and there were a couple issues.

When I move from reverse to forward there is some kind of knocking that goes away in a few seconds. It does it while drifting back as well as from a full stop. There is no sound going from forward to reverse. Engine is a Volvo Penta 2002.

The masthead wind instruments don’t seem to be working. I looked online and cant find any troubleshooting guides. Anyone have any suggestions? How expensive would it be to repair and/or replace them? I think they are Nav-5.

Survey is tomorrow with the engine survey shortly after. Thanks for the help!

Juice