New Extended Catalina 310 Spinnaker Crane

Feb 2, 2013
Beneteau 351 Bluewater Bay
I refined the design of a new extended Catalina 310 spinnaker Crane I showed in a post last Feb 2019. See atch pics. In first pic it shows a joint in middle. It is one piece. I had to cut it in half to fit 3D printer.
New crane slides over top front of masthead and installs in place of existing bail crane using same four screws and also reuses forestay pin through side of crane. Reuse the existing small SS bail by installing it at top end of the new crane using four screws.
New crane will be made out of 1/8" 316L Stainless Steel. I have found a local welder/fabricator who can make new crane for $750 for first three. $150 for SS bar material and $600 for labor. That's $250 each for first three. Labor includes setup so if more were made, per piece labor cost goes down.
If anyone is interested in one, let me know.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2010
Beneteau 331 0 Niceville FL
I refined the design of a new extended Catalina 310 spinnaker Crane I showed in a post last Feb 2019. See atch pics. In first pic it shows a joint in middle. It is one piece. I had to cut it in half to fit 3D printer.
New crane slides over top front of masthead and installs in place of existing bail crane using same four screws and also reuses forestay pin through side of crane. Reuse the existing small SS bail by installing it at top end of the new crane using four screws.
New crane will be made out of 1/8" 316L Stainless Steel. I have found a local welder/fabricator who can make new crane for $750 for first three. $150 for SS bar material and $600 for labor. That's $250 each for first three. Labor includes setup so if more were made, per piece labor cost goes down.
If anyone is interested in one, let me know.
Hi Tom;
It looks good and you already have my order...I think anyone flying s spinnaker on the 310 will want one of these, it is a needed upgrade.
Thanks for all your work on this project.
Scott

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I will want a light air sail eventually, what is the problem this solves?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The block that you’ll hang off the little tang on the front of the mast will interfere with the furler. Nothing major. :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Any chance it can be installed without dropping the mast?

Feb 2, 2013
Beneteau 351 Bluewater Bay
My install plan was to:
1. Remove Genoa
2. Loosen forestry and back stay about one inch each. Leave fwd, rear, and side shrouds tensioned.
3. To remove tension on forestay pin, tighten Genoa halyard to lift top roller furler fitting against forestay top fitting.
4. Go to top of mast. Remove existing crane and install on end of new crane. Adjust Genoa halyard to remove forestay pin. Install new crane using pin and screws removed.

Or pull mast. Or take boat to marina and rent lift to get up to masthead.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Tom,

I'll go in for one and will help you get it attached. Just let me know. My spinnaker halyard frequently gets hung up on the Genoa furler \.

Cheers, Craig

Apr 5, 2017
Catalina 310 Huntington, NY
I would also be interested in a spinnacker crane for my 310. Please consider me the fifth.

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Whittem .......... any chance of getting the measurements for the Bracket. I'm in Canada and have a friend who can help me build one of these.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi Whittem
Hoping all is well ?
This is a really late request. Any chance of getting the measurements for the spinnaker crane ? I have a good opportunity this winter to make one.
Cheers
2 Old Pirates

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Beware that the Charleston Spar in-mast furling cross section at the top is different that that of the standard mainsail mast. Whittem's boat is just down the dock from mine. He has the standard rig and I have in-mast furling. The crane drawing for his boat won't work on mine - which is a shame because I'd really like one.