New England Sailing Venues?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just for the moment anticipating that the New England summer sailing season will go forward, when is usually a good time, and what are some favorite destinations leaving Newport, RI? Assume 6 nights RT.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
That would leave ample time for the ladies to go ashore and shop...
KG. This could be an expensive adventure.
Ha! No “committed” shoppers aboard; thank my stars:), as people say. Of course, the retailers have to be open to even begin. Still an unknown. But, I’m seeing < $250 RT LAX to PVD. My way of passing the time.:dancing:

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
For most of my life “shopping” has been going to the store, finding what I want, then leaving; usually about a 15 min experience. I do spend more time, of course, in marine chandlers, which are now regrettably rare.:( I was just reading that a major one in Nantucket closed in 2014.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020
have not purchased yet have not purchased yet Maine
Hi Kings, I would love if you post where you stop, what your experiences are, what you find most challenging, most fun, most expensive, all that!
Not at all interested in the shopping aspect, but would love to hear about the coast in terms of beaches, islands, places you like, didn't like, in particular any quiet spots you found to anchor.

Now that the weather is finally turning nice, I hope that by summer we can all get out and enjoy what we love doing,

Thanks, will look for your posts if you do decide to share your adventures along New England.

Barbara

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
On avg you should find travel in the easterly direction a bit faster than your return. If the 3rd day is your point of return, it might be a 6 1/2 day trip. Stay outside and away from the Canal... Enjoy...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That would leave ample time for the ladies to go ashore and shop...
KG. This could be an expensive adventure.
Vineyard and Nantucket are expensive in the extreme.

Mystic seaport is a nice historical experience but for me, the coast of Maine is wonderful.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Vineyard and Nantucket are expensive in the extreme.

Mystic seaport is a nice historical experience but for me, the coast of Maine is wonderful.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Mystic is a fine stop. Not too far up the river you can splurge and get dockage inside the museum grounds and enjoy the museum at night(buildings closed but grounds open to transient boats). The handy volunteers will take care of helping you get moored on the fixed docks and fit a large fender plank to protect your boat.

Mystic_.jpg

Another option is the fine anchorage just off the museum. There you have complete privacy and easy access to the museum dinghy docks.

We think the best stop of all in the Buzzards Bay area is Cuttyhunk, hands down.

Julia MJ (1 of 1).jpg

We've spent many long days and peaceful nights (excepting the nights the coyote's hold a concert) anchored in the shoal water away from the noisy mooring field.

Once you know the rhythm of the island you can find very good provisions at the island store.

Cuttyhunk Island Store.jpg

There's a unique vibe and history to the island that you have to leave the beaten path and seek out.

Cuttyhunk old stone house tower (1 of 1).jpg

There's a long history of sport fishing on the island that still permeates the docks.

Fishing lures Cuttyhunk dock.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Kings, I would love if you post where you stop, what your experiences are, what you find most challenging, most fun, most expensive, all that!
Not at all interested in the shopping aspect, but would love to hear about the coast in terms of beaches, islands, places you like, didn't like, in particular any quiet spots you found to anchor.

Now that the weather is finally turning nice, I hope that by summer we can all get out and enjoy what we love doing,

Thanks, will look for your posts if you do decide to share your adventures along New England.

Barbara
For quiet spots we've found in Southern New England, Head of the Harbor on Nantucket is hard to beat. It's about an hour motor up and you have to watch the bottom in several areas. We anchored overnight up there about 10 years ago. We could hardly believe it: Anchored alone in a beautiful basin on one of the most crowded islands in NE, we had it entirely to ourselves. Plus the water is warm so I floated around the boat and took pictures.

Christmas in Head of the Harbor.jpg

Soon after, they closed it off to anchoring but I don't know if that rule still exists or if it is in fact enforced. Nantucket is tough as the anchoring in the main harbor is sketchy (grassy), but we've done it several times and moorings are often full, but again, we always found one when we needed it. Nantucket is a great island to visit on your own boat but you have to work a bit to do it.

On Martha's Vineyard, our favorite anchorage is inside Lake Tashmoo. Also shoal getting in (we have a centerboard) but doable if you watch the tide. Pretty good access to town, supplies by walking (or taxi) but you a quiet anchorage in the middle of a very crowded island. New restrictions are cropping up but with a little effort, you'll find a place inside.

Tashmoo Catboat glides by .jpg

Hadley Harbor is also a good spot to spend the night. Completely sheltered, it's a good hole to escape the higher wind events this area is prone to. There is room to anchor but we've nearly always picked up a mooring as they are available to the public from the private island (Nashaweena- Forbes family). This is a classic place to swim from the boat and watch what's going on this busy island. Once, we found ourselves engulfed by a "folly" out of Woods Hole.

Hadley boat race.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Shopping in Cuttyhunk is a 15 minute experience. One store. Often closed. The danger is the other two.
There used to another store on Cuttyhunk, but it only took a few minutes.

Cuttyhunk Island shopping.jpg

There are a few stops on the docks that might sell you something. Islands,...you never know really know what's going on there.

Duck Dynasty Cutty.jpg

Apr 10, 2020
have not purchased yet have not purchased yet Maine
Hi Tom, thank you so much for all that- I have memories of my father anchoring somewhere near Martha's Vineyard, and swimming in wonderful, warm water in late summer. Even though it was many years ago, I will never forget the incredible beauty of the place. Of course, i need to learn how to sail first, then buy a boat, but it would be pretty great at this late stage in my life to experience that again. I'm most familiar with my old home town, Marblehead and surrounding islands, Gloucester, and Cranes Beach. Hope to go there again someday
Barbara

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
On avg you should find travel in the easterly direction a bit faster than your return. If the 3rd day is your point of return, it might be a 6 1/2 day trip. Stay outside and away from the Canal... Enjoy...
Thanks for your post! Not really familiar with the routes, but was reviewing outbound: Newport, Chuttyhunk, Nantucket Harbor- along south coast of Martha’s Vineyard; inbound: Nantucket Harbor, Vineyard Haven, Newport via the sounds, etc. Don’t know what the “Canal” is.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Cape Cod Canal - kind of fun to transit through with the tide once for the experience but really only if you need to be on the other side of the Cape.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Thanks for your post! Not really familiar with the routes, but was reviewing outbound: Newport, Chuttyhunk, Nantucket Harbor- along south coast of Martha’s Vineyard; inbound: Nantucket Harbor, Vineyard Haven, Newport via the sounds, etc. Don’t know what the “Canal” is.
As max points out, the Cape Cod Canal. You can scream thru with the tide, but then you're in Massachuttes Bay.. and hours from where you intend..

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
along south coast of Martha’s Vineyard;
Not advisable. You can make it through the Muskeget Channel through Nantucket shoals in calm water, slack tide, but under most conditions I would advise you to go to/from via Vineyard Sound. The currents can really rip there, you might see big swells, even breaking waves, and it's better to be safe.

Last edited: