New engine for a 34?

Aug 21, 2015
Sabre Sabre 34 Nahant
The original Vovlo MD11 in our 1978 Sabre 34 is running hot and we're thinking it might be time to repower. Any ideas when it comes to a replacement engine that won't require tons of bed rebuilding, etc? Any other advice?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Contact Bata but first if your engine is running well other wise find out why it's over heating and if possible just fix the problem

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
wood's right. It's BETA, though.
thanks for the clarification Stu i just got in at mid night and was up early this morning after spending 3 days on the gulf coast from P cola Fl to Long Beach Mississippi looking at marinas in order to berth my boat next month ....i also need to say that these little engines are very tough and take a lot of adverse use but keep on ticking ...i see no need to re power unless there is a water jacket problem or other major $$$$$ problem or if you have raw water cooling and need closed cooling for the purpose of using the hot water heater

Aug 21, 2015
Sabre Sabre 34 Nahant
Good info, thanks. It's nearly a 40-year-old sea water cooled engine. When we bought the boat 12 years ago, it was overheating and we had the engine totally stripped down and cleaned out. Since then, the temps been creeping up, with the creep accelerating the last couple of years. This year, it's just plain running hot.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Personally, I'd acid flush the jacket before I bought a new engine.