New Dodger for the Vega

Aug 1, 2008
The dodger on my Vega is worn out. It will cost too much to simply repair the multiple broken and worn places so I need to replace it. I've been quoted $2500 (before tax and materials shipping costs) to make a new one that fits the current frame (the frame is good). Has anyone recently obtained a new dodger for a better price? If so, from where?

Catherine Noonan
Vega #1591

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi Catherine,
not an answer to your question but related.

I have (I think) the original dodger (sprayhood in Europe) - in a
horrible yellow material based on two struts made of aluminium that
pivot on two sockets on port and stbd side.

The boat was originally yellow and is now navy blue so I would like to
change to a navy blue sprayhood.

So I'd be interested in the answer to your question too.

Is your sprayhood structurally the same as mine or a newer stainless
steel frame?

Thanks

John V1447 Breakaway

catherinenoonan wrote:

Oct 25, 2008
Albin Marin Vega Bogue Chitto, Miss
Steve Birch helped get me in touch with a lady who mad a replacement for me in england. The total cost was around $1000 U.S.D. I have not seen the work yet, but the sparayhood came highly recommended and I have heard nothing but positive things about the quality if materials and workmanship. And as with everything, it was a real pleasure dealing with Steve. I wouldn't hesitate in purchasing anything he had to offer and would reccomend any product he offers.

K.L.Magee

Jun 6, 2007
We too got our dodger for Shiva from the lady in England. She did a great job, and the price was right. She makes the dodger to the exact specifications fo the Vega. My husband is British, and we go to the Jolly Ole England every year or so, so we just picked up the dodger and brought it home on the plane. However, since it was collapsed and wrapped in miles of bubble wrap and paper, it looked a bit like a ground-to-air grenade launcher, so we had to unwrap it it got a serious going over at airport security. Also, that was a couple years back, before the airlines started charging you for bringing anything on board other than a toothbrush. In today's hostile air travel climate, they'd probably charge you $100 to take a dodger on the plane. Anyway, we were very pleased with the English dodger!

Aug 1, 2008
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the dodger. I had thought of sewing one using the old pieces as patters. I was thinking of making it out of "Sunbrella" fabric that I can buy by the yard. I don't know how good my skills are though - although I have a sewing machine, it's been a long time since I used to sew.

I will contact Steve Birch to get the name of the person in England. I have a friend who travels there every couple of months so that might be a solutions if he can bring it back.

But, if anyone knows of US or Canadian source for a dodger at lower cost than the quote I have, please let me know.

Many thanks to all.

Catherine Noonan

Apr 25, 2008
hey there, found a company recently while doing my own search for an affordable dodger for my albin. qouted at $1150 with aluminum frame, little more of stainless i'd think. Based out of NY. Island Nautical Canvas. website... Island Nautical Canvas

Oct 30, 2019
Dodgers are expensive to have made, as each one is pretty much a custom item, which requires several trips to the boat. If you already have a frame that's a shape and size you're happy with, this might be the way to go. The other good way to go is the one from the UK. I've seen one, and it was a sturdy, good looking piece of work that would do any Vega proud.

My limited experience building dodgers (three of them, on three different boats) has been that it's easier to make a new pattern, rather than try to use the bagged-out and torn old one with the missing windows and expect it to fit properly. Tie the frame up into the correct position with string and tape, then use heavy craft paper to make a cover, overlapping the pieces and joining them with packing tape. Don Casey's little book on Canvas Work & Sail Repair covers the whole process of dodger making very thoroughly ... I highly recommend it if you're going to sew one yourself.

As far as sewing Sunbrella on a home machine: get the proper needles and thread and try it out first. If it won't sew through three layers of Sunbrella, with a nice straight and even stitch, it's not going to do the job. I just watched two fellow sailors struggling with this very problem ... a most frustrating experience! It ended well though, as some kind fellow invited them over to use his industrial machine to re-stitch everything.

Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

Mar 28, 2011
The British version comes with stainless steel frame. I highly recommend it. I bought mine a few years ago.
Frank Gallardo Jr
sv Cin Cin V-2184
"May the warm wind at your back not be your own"

Apr 28, 2000
We had one custom made to our specifications, from scratch, complete with stainless steel frame and including installation, for $2000 by Port Townsend Canvas. The workmanship was first rate and we added some extra-cost options like hand-holds and elk hide trim. Since the design work has already been done it should cost you less. Call Leah at 360-385-1712 or 360-421-4900.

Chuck Rose
SV Lealea, V1860

Jun 6, 2007
Catherine...if you are tempted to make your dodger replacement, Sailrite has a heavy sewing machine called the Sailrite LS. The straight stiche only machine sells for $649, the LS-Z that also does zigzag sells for $849, the sunbrella, 60" wide for about $17 a yard, the clear window plastic for???? and a DVD on how to make a dodger.

One consideration about a regular home sewing machine is the weight of the thread, and the size of the needle. Regular sewing machines generally don't handle V-69 or higher, the heavy thread that is used to sew sunbrella. Regular home sewing thread probably won't last the season.

As Peter said, using the old one for a pattern isn't always that great. Sailrite recommends putting double-sided tape on the aluminum frame, then draping plastic sheeting over the frame. The tape holds the sheeting, and you use a felt tiped pen to mark the cutting lines, or any other things you have to sew around. Remove the plastic from the frame an add a seam allowance.

If you think you might make other canvas pieces, naugahyde cushion covers, etc., the Sailrite sewing machine is the way to go--they've got everything you need--machine, fabric, thread, fasteners, thread. I have a Sailrite LS-Z and think it is great.

If this is a one time project, and you don't want make every scrap of canvas on your boat, buy a dodger.

Best of luck,
Sheila

Aug 1, 2008
Many many thanks to everyone.

Great suggestions and great advice. I will look into all of it.
I will probably sail around Puget Sound for part of this summer without the dodger since it will take time to set up a new one, whether I make it or buy it. Hope we have mostly good weather.
Sewing and the idea of getting a machine has a certain appeal because I will need a new cover for the boom and various other items. A lifetime ago I had an old White heavy duty sewing machine. I bought it from an upholsterer who was retiring. Wish I still had it - it would certainly be useful now.

Catherine

May 30, 2006
Chuck, I believe I called them last year and if I remember correctly, they didn't want to do a vega dodger from afar.
roy

May 30, 2006
Chuck, I believe I called them last year and if I remember correctly, they didn't want to do a vega dodger from afar.
roy

May 30, 2006
On the subject of the dodger...
I am also in the market for a dodger (frame and canvas).
If anyone wants to double up with me and buy two or more of these at the same time, let me know. We can try to get a cheaper price.
roy

May 30, 2006
On the subject of the dodger...
I am also in the market for a dodger (frame and canvas).
If anyone wants to double up with me and buy two or more of these at the same time, let me know. We can try to get a cheaper price.
roy

Oct 30, 2019
If we can get a volume discount, I am in for ordering a new dodger. I'd like something with a stainless steel frame...but also something that I can leave up in everything but the most violent airs. Is the one that is made in England tough enough?

Jack

Aug 1, 2008
I like the idea of placing a volume order if we can. So far getting the dodger made in England from Steve Birch seems the best idea (other than sewing one's own) because Diana Webb, who will make them, is a Vega person and makes dodgers specifically for Vegas. Steve says that price for each dodger including shipping is about 660 British Pounds which comes to about $1034.00 according to today's exchange rate. I believe that price includes a stainless steel frame. There may be additional custom duties or U.S. taxes, of course, which may be a deal breaker.

The other source that was suggested and seems to be a reasonable price is the N.Y. company, NY. Island Nautical Canvas: www.islandnauticalcanvas.com

To get a group deal, we might all have to get the same colour. My boat cushions, boom cover (that also needs repairing), etc., are that classic, almost royal blue one sees fairly commonly on boats.

Catherine Noonan

Nov 8, 2001
Hi All

The UK one that Diana makes is sure tough. Stainless steel frames. Cannot be fitted to the Series III Vega.

Cheers

Steve