New dinghy for 2-hp honda

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Anyone know of a small dink that can plane with a 2-hp Honda with one or two adults aboard?
My current dink is a 10'-6" Zodiac which was great when I cruised with my wife, teenaged daughter (and usually a friend) plus two Labradors. Anything smaller would have been unworkable. The daughter got married and moved away. The labs got old and moved on and will not be replaced so now it is just the two of us.

I have a good running 2-hp Honda and would prefer to not replace it. I have looked as several of the small inflatables and ribs that weigh about 1/2 the zodiac and have a 3.5 hp max rating.

Apr 5, 2009
Two of the boats I am looking at are the Highfield xxxKAM with air floor and the Highfield UL240 single floor rib.
My first inflatable had an air-matt floor and I loved it and hate the wood floor on my current boat. I saw a review of the KAM and like that it does not have any wooden components. The transom is aluminum and the seat and stretchers are molded plastic.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Nothing will plane with a 2hp motor. Probably a PortaBote would give the the best speed (they row well too) - the 10 or 12 foot models would plane with a 3.5 if lightly loaded.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Two of the boats I am looking at are the Highfield xxxKAM with air floor and the Highfield UL240 single floor rib.
My first inflatable had an air-matt floor and I loved it and hate the wood floor on my current boat. I saw a review of the KAM and like that it does not have any wooden components. The transom is aluminum and the seat and stretchers are molded plastic.
I replaced our old Zodiac with a Hyfield CL290 - rib with aluminum floor more than double the weight of the UL 240 and kept our Merc 4hp 2 stroke with dolphin fin for power. It will “eventually” plane with about 300lbs of people and gear. I also use a Honda 2hp on our Hunter 216 so have some idea of it’s capability. It has remarkable power for a “little” motor and will move the sailboat along at 5knots at WOT.

My guess is you might get on a plane with one person moving their weight around to get it going but that’s not what your after.

I am very pleased with the quality of the Hyfield so you could start with the 2hp since you already have it and see what happens. The only way to know for sure if it’s acceptable is to try. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The 240 at 80 lbs and about $1700 sure puts a lot of check marks in the Pro category.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Nothing will plane with a 2hp motor. Probably a PortaBote would give the the best speed (they row well too) - the 10 or 12 foot models would plane with a 3.5 if lightly loaded.
We have an 8' portabote with a 2.5 hp lehr outboard. It would take a larger outboard to plane it, but it moves well with the 2.5. I can't really imagine needing anything larger even though it doesn't plane. Definitely faster than rowing it :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
well, actually, my 1988 merc 2hp, on my 10' quicksilver, inflatable floor dingy will plane quite nicely at about 14mph. BUT............................
so here's the way it's done, and it's quite easy: i lock up the steering by tightening the damper wing bolt. it is slightly offset to make the dingy go straight. then i set the throttle wide open and start my run. i then stand up with my feet wide on the floor. my feet and therefor my weight are well forward or the oarlocks and rowing seat there is no weight aft. the dingy easily goes faster. i steer like you would on a surfboard, leaning from side to side. i hold on to the towing bridle. it's fun as well. others in the harbor look at me like i am a moron.
unsafe? maybe? stupid? possibly? illegal? no?

my kids laugh at me and call me a dork

guilty as charged :cool:

i'm 6'5" and 230 ish

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Out 8' won't plane with the Suzuki. Close, very close, but can't get over the hump.

Apr 5, 2009
I don’t see how 2hp with 2 adults and dog will plane anything but I will follow here.
Nick
Just to clarify, no dog and wondering if a 2-hp Honda will get any small light-weight dinghy to plane with 1 or 2 adults. I am talking about the 6'-8' range. Or current tender is 10.5' and is too big for our current needs. We will keep it for those times when we have visitors and need a bigger boat.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Here is the new 8' Aquamarine and the 2.5 Suzuki. It might be persuaded to plane, but as yet, has not, and indications are that with any kind of load it will not.
img_2948.jpgimg_2946.jpg

May 25, 2012
my personal testing is that with one person only, using an attached(duct tape or similar) 5' stick tiller. or the stand and lean method, an 8' dingy will plane if you are in front of rowing seat. with 2 persons aboard it will not. with 1 person aboard sitting aft it will not.

note: tests were done in fresh water, not saltwater. bottom of dingy was clean

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a Honda 2hp outboard.. It is a very reliable engine.. Usually one pull. I've had it on a QUICKSILVER 9.9
and a West Marine 9. With me by myself it wouldn't plane and never will....

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I usually only run our Honda 2 at half throttle or less because it's way quieter. It won't plane wide open even with just me way forward in our 8 foot Livingston.

May 25, 2012
interesting results from different uses. in Wisconsin the premium gas is ethanol free. prop size, gearing, ..... i don't know