New crew working out fine

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I missed the hat, the women, the antenna, and everything, because of that main sail. Wow. It's as cool as that ugly headsail on Frank Gehry's boat was hideous. Is the material heavy enough to make a genoa out of? Is my wallet heavy enough to afford one?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I second the AC/DC but I would raise you a LED ZEPPELIN.... Immigrant Song comes to mind.

Music? Horses for courses. We pick what suits. From 33,000 songs on the ipod.

For energy-on cruising its often electronica tinged, Moby, Massive Attack, M83, Of Monsters and Men, EBTG, etc

For chill cruising often singer-songwriters, David Gray, Dave Matthews, Damien Rice, Van Morrison etc.

For a wind up to race it can only be AC/AC, THUNDERSTRUCK. Accept no substitutes.

But lately on Lake Minnetonka it has been a lot of Minneapolis royalty; Prince Rogers Nelson.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I missed the hat, the women, the antenna, and everything, because of that main sail. Wow. It's as cool as that ugly headsail on Frank Gehry's boat was hideous. Is the material heavy enough to make a genoa out of? Is my wallet heavy enough to afford one?
That sail material really does not make the sail that expensive. It's a cloth made by DP; mylar with carbon strings. Once you get to radial constructon, a large part of the cost shifts from cloth to construction. All those little panels means a lot of design, cutting, sewing, and seam treating. Broadseam is SO much faster to built. I figure this sail cost maybe 20% more than a Dacron true-radial all would have.

And it will last longer (meaning holding its shape) if taken care of. For mylar sails that means NO FLOGGING. At all. Crease Mylar back and forth 100 times and it will crack. That main is now 3 years old. I had an absolute sail-nazi on board last week, Guy's done main at the Farr 40 worlds. We cut about across the bay and he trimmed main. Looked up and said 'nice shape'.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
We don't usually race with our asym tacked to the bow, but it makes for a very nice way to reach around the lake with minimum fuss.
So do you attach the asym tack to the same location and use an adjustable tack line, or do you have a bowsprit?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
So do you attach the asym tack to the same location and use an adjustable tack line, or do you have a bowsprit?
Two ways.

For pure simple fun (like that day) I have a short strop of dyneema with a shackle on the attached to the bow in front of the forestay. The strop is size to allow the asym to have a nice reaching shape when attached.

I do have an adjustable tack line as well, but if I think I might want to sail deeper I'll usually throw up a symmetrical.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Thanks. BTW I like the training aid sign "port" midway on the boom! Good idea for when we have new sailors on board. Years ago our ASA instructor put red and green wool yarn on the port and stb shrouds as wind vanes. Lasted till we sold the boat and a great reminder.