New cockpit table

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I went to refinish my old table and found it all rotted out. New tables ranged from 300 on up depending on source and features. The starboard ones look bad and the teak ones will require lots of maintenance. So I scouted a few lumber yards and bought a composite deck board with wood grain finish. Then I salvaged some teak from the old table for fiddles and all the metal hinges and support bracket. Voila a new table for 30 bucks or so. A little heavy but a router could take some stock off the bottom to cut weight if so inclined.

Attachments

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
Did you take before pictures? How does the rebuilt table look compared to the original?
Wondering if you weighed the original.

Great job in the rebuild.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Dave, does the table fold and if so, can you show a picture of how it folds and what kind of room to pass you have?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Did you take before pictures? How does the rebuilt table look compared to the original? Wondering if you weighed the original. Great job in the rebuild.
the original was exactly the same size and was a teak veneer plywood. Many years ago I put white Formica on the top as the veneer was getting ratty looking. The table lasted 29 years so I have no complaints. The table is on a piano hinge so it folds straight down against the pedestal guard. It is narrower than the wheel so the wheel defines the space to get by. The fake wood is pretty thick as it is for decking and getting walked on. I used as is but it could be planed thinner or as I mentioned routed out to reduce weight. I don't have a router or planer so I left it alone. A milling machine would work well also. This will last forever other than the fiddles that will need a coat of something annually. The fiddles could be made from the same fake wood easily for a zero maintenance option. The table is held up by a triangular shaped bent rod that clips in near the base of the pedestal. I don't have access to the boat for two more weeks so no further pictures until then. There is no leg holding up the front to get in the way as some designs use.