New chaps

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Hi all,

My wife finished the chaps for our new dinghy. She added a lot of nice touches like chafing protection all around. Many hours spent but it should serve us well.
Without implying anything other than that I'm ignorant: what are these for, please? Mostly UV protection, or mostly for chafing against dinghy docks?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Without implying anything other than that I'm ignorant: what are these for, please? Mostly UV protection, or mostly for chafing against dinghy docks?
Tom's wife has to follow him around with a dust pan and baggies.;)

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Looks more like they're trying to keep the dog's claws from destroying the dinghy when they run him on urgent trips in to the beach. Works for UV too, though.

Jun 25, 2004
Hunter 306 Pasadena MD
Looks more like they're trying to keep the dog's claws from destroying the dinghy when they run him on urgent trips in to the beach. Works for UV too, though.
Ahhh... dog chaps. That explains it! :D

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Yes to both. We cruise the east coast and Bahamas often tying the dinghy to docks, rocks, or tree limbs that have barnacles or other sharp objects protruding from them. The sun’s UV rays are relentless when you sail year-round, so this will protect our investment. Our last dinghy was twenty years old when a seam split on the PVC tubes. Surprisingly, other boaters have caused damage to our boat as well so we thought this a good option.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
One boater friend suggested glittering the sides,,,,she’s been self-quarantined for a while. But maybe green to starboard and red to port.