New Catalina owner, many questions!

Jun 17, 2019
Catalina 30 Texas south port
Good morning yall,

Just purchased a 1980 catalina 30 yesterday and I have many questions!

1. I just noticed a leak this morning. It comes from a brown wooden box behind the stairs. Causes a slow drip. Looks like the box is right under the Helm.

2.What is the proper procedure to turn on the inboard engine?

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose.

4. There is a pole attached to the deck. Also dont know its purpose.

5. How many sails is this boat meant to use?

Thank you in advance, more questions coming soon!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
1. I just noticed a leak this morning. It comes from a brown wooden box behind the stairs. Causes a slow drip. Looks like the box is right under the Helm. Looks like water damage, maybe from the cockpit. Would have to see a photo of the cockpit to see where it might be coming from.

2.What is the proper procedure to turn on the inboard engine? refer to you amnaul or this link 1981 Catalina 30' Sailboat Basic Operations Manual

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose. A photo would help.

4. There is a pole attached to the deck. Also dont know its purpose. Whisker pole to "wing out" the jib when sailing downwind. Check out this youtube video"

5. How many sails is this boat meant to use? Genoa and main

Jun 17, 2019
1. I just noticed a leak this morning. It comes from a brown wooden box behind the stairs. Causes a slow drip. Looks like the box is right under the Helm. Looks like water damage, maybe from the cockpit. Would have to see a photo of the cockpit to see where it might be coming from.

2.What is the proper procedure to turn on the inboard engine? refer to you amnaul or this link 1981 Catalina 30' Sailboat Basic Operations Manual

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose. A photo would help.

4. There is a pole attached to the deck. Also dont know its purpose. Whisker pole to "wing out" the jib when sailing downwind. Check out this youtube video"

5. How many sails is this boat meant to use? Genoa and main
Thank you very much! Attaching photos now. The 2 blocks are up high on the mast.

Also, what is this steel line for?

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
1. I just noticed a leak this morning. It comes from a brown wooden box behind the stairs. Causes a slow drip. Looks like the box is right under the Helm. Wow...fast photo posting...........It would be water getting in from the pedestal base. It might have to be rebedded. I would talk to a rigger to resolve and repair the water damaged wood in the cabin.

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose. Looks like they are used to hoist a burgee or other boat flag.

Jun 17, 2019
1. I just noticed a leak this morning. It comes from a brown wooden box behind the stairs. Causes a slow drip. Looks like the box is right under the Helm. Wow...fast photo posting...........It would be water getting in from the pedestal base. It might have to be rebedded. I would talk to a rigger to resolve and repair the water damaged wood in the cabin.

Haha, indeed, photos express so much more! How could I fix this leak on the pedestal base?

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose. Looks like they are used to hoist a burgee or other boat flag. Oh ok. So not of importance.

Jun 17, 2019

I shot water through both thruholes near the end of the cockpit. It did leak and it is a slow leak. Not sure which thruhole exactly. Leaked from another spot too.

3. I see 2 blocks and don’t know their purpose. Looks like they are used to hoist a burgee or other boat flag.

Attachments

Jun 17, 2019
Thank you!!

1. Leak - now that I think about it is likely from leaky cockpit drain hose. Flood the cockpit to confirm the leak source. Take a look at these threads and links.

Do I have to remove the wooden box to reach these hoses and or thruhulls for replacements?

Feb 21, 2013
..................Do I have to remove the wooden box to reach these hoses and or thruhulls for replacements?
Cannot offer any help since my Hunter 31 never developed a cockpit leak from either the pedestal or drain. The one youtube video showed the owner replacing the cockpit drain hose.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Hi Tex and welcome to the Catalina 30 world.

I see that you have received some answers to your questions....

For additional info on the questions/rigging and leak issues that you have, I strongly suggest that you additionally sign up and post the questions and pics on the "official" C-30 forum hosted by the International Catalina 30 Association. We've all '"Been there, done that" before.

Catalina30 groups.io Group

The forum is monitored by IC30A officers and there are 1600+ members -- some who have the same early model mk-I that you have and the pedestal/sheave & cable steering that you have. There's no better place to fine-tune your C-30 knowledge.

Also, please join and support the IC30A if you haven't already!

Membership
Application

See you over on the forum!
Cheers,
Ken

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Tex and welcome to the Catalina 30 world.

I see that you have received some answers to your questions....

For additional info on the questions/rigging and leak issues that you have, I strongly suggest that you additionally sign up and post the questions and pics on the "official" C-30 forum hosted by the International Catalina 30 Association. We've all '"Been there, done that" before.

Catalina30 groups.io Group

The forum is monitored by IC30A officers and there are 1600+ members -- some who have the same early model mk-I that you have and the pedestal/sheave & cable steering that you have. There's no better place to fine-tune your C-30 knowledge.

Also, please join and support the IC30A if you haven't already!

Membership
Application

See you over on the forum!
Cheers,
Ken
I will absolutely join. Thank you very much.

The leak was fixed. I shot up pressured water through the thruhull, just in case it was jammed. All good there. Then, I noticed where the leak truly was coming from..... A cracked piece of fiberglass bench where things are stored. I just glassed it and the leak is now gone! I appreciate all of yalls help. I will post another new forum now in that new place I was recommended to go to.

Attachments