New Catalina Capri?

Sep 12, 2020
Catalina 22 Kemah
Hey all,
Newbie here. Looking for my first boat down here in Houston TX and I’ve been at it for a few months. I’ve finally decided to scrap getting a blue water capable boat and go for something I’m actually going to use regularly. Given the sailing grounds down here (Galveston Bay) I’m looking at the 22, it checks most of the boxes for me and my goals.

So I’m looking for some advice on buying new vs used. Initially I couldn’t imagine buying a new boat and never considered it. Now, I’ve found a beautiful blue Capri in stock here and I’m rationalizing like crazy to make it happen. Just wanted to vet my thinking with some experienced owners before I make a big mistake...or maybe it isn’t that’s why I’m here.

I appreciate any words of wisdom on here in advance. Thanks.

EW

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
I bought a new boat in 2019 (#1310). I did it because I don't like other peoples problems or poor maintenance with problems nobody knows about. I also do not like "project" boats that need work to make them sailable, I would rather spend my time making the boat just right for me, rather than getting a boat that was set up just right for the prior, or original, owner.

Sep 12, 2020
Catalina 22 Kemah
I appreciate the response! I share many of your same reasons for wanting a new boat. In many cases I feel like it isn’t that different financially given some of the costs associated with getting a “cheap” used boat up and sailing. I’m sure many people will disagree.

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
My father owned a 1993 Capri 22 that I could have had for free. he had sold it to a neighbor who let it rot on the lift for 5 years, I calculated the costs of repairing everything wrong with it I would be paying essentially the same amount as a new boat. It was an easy decision.

Jul 28, 2016
There are trade-offs to buying new vs. used. It is very true that you can be buying someone elses mistakes, but equally true that most every new production boat is going to have issues that need to be corrected. Buying a boat that has already had those issues corrected will save you some time and effort. The other issue is depreciation - much like buying a new car, you will take a big depreciation hit if you buy new. Not really in issue if this is your "forever boat" but if you decide to trade up (or down) after a couple of years, that can be painful.

Financially speaking, if I had the money to take delivery on a new boat I would probably be very tempted to do so, but just be aware that there are downsides as well.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina Capri 22 Lake Travis
I bought mine last year used. 98 year model, fin keel, standard rig, speed and depth displays, trailer and outboard and all the sail inventory for less than $8K. No issues with the hull or any other standing or running rigging, no discoloration, trailer in great shape, bone dry boat. Not a project boat at all. I spent less than $1,500 to mod to my taste (different tiller, adding boom kicker, replacing genoa lines, getting a nice spinnaker pole, etc.) I regularly cruise and race her, never had an issue and saved tons of money buying used. Good used ones can be found if you have the time to look for them. I was searching nationally for a boat with trailer and I found it on craigslist in AR.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Bought a 2015 Capri 22 rigged for racing. Big self tailing winches, back adjuster and every adjustment of sail possible, except a Cunningham with I corrected. Even came with an asym Spinaker. The boat is a Ferrari with comfort. It tracks easily and even sailing on Main alone has no weather helm. In light winds it has a little lee helm on main. This is a day sailer. The cabin is big enough to sit while putting on suntan lotion and store sails. The small cabin leaves a wide deck allowing going forward easier and safer. I solo only and have tried the spinaker once this year. Did 3 knts in a 3-4 knt wind. I'll try again if the wind dies down, not typical at this time of year.I have learned a lot about sail adjustment by adjusting and observing, and reading this forum. I now can fit the sails to the wind and flatten them quickly if it pipes up. I do not sail in much more than 10-15 knots, too much work. I love this boat and the way it sails.

Nov 6, 2019
Catalina Capri 22 Severna Park
I bought 1311 last year - tall rig with gear for racing. I thought I would both cruise with grandkids and race with son but have only day sailed and raced. The mainsail was OK for day sailing but crap for racing and I had to replace with North Sails. I should replace the genoa as well. I picked up a used spin. It has been absolutely great for club racing. I don't know for a fact but I believe we have planed the boat several times as we exceeded hull speed. Were I to buy again, I would buy new again, a tall rig with all the racing gear but not the stock sails. I would have it measured for good sails.