New Catalina 30 Owner, need help with head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2012
Catalina 30 Steppingstone, NY
Hi, just joined the forum and am the proud new owner of a 1980 Catalina 30. Boat needs some TLC and heavy duty cleaning but engine runs well, sails and rigging are in good shape and overall I think she'll sail nicely.

As I'm going through the boat I came across what I think is the masserator pump but I'm not sure. There are also two water lines next to the pump and I'm not sure what they would be for. I was under the impression if the waste is pumped at the waste station wouldn't a pump inline make pumping impossible?

I'm posting a photo of the pump, not even sure if it functions yet. Basically I need a little advice on the typical head arrangement for pump out station and offshore masserator pump. As well as what those two other water lines are for.

Thanks!!! Alex

Attachments

Last edited:

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Welcome aboard... I am just a hop, skip, and, a jump away from you!

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
my catalina 30 is on city island. where do you keep a boat at steppingstone?

Jan 13, 2012
Need to be a Great Neck park district resident, town moorings.

Any idea about the pump?

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
best bet, since the boat is new to you, is to trace all the hoses and wiring. Then you'll really know what's going on. Since you'll be doing "heavy duty cleaning", you will have plenty of time to find out where everything goes.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Primetime, I also have a 1980 model C 30. Most of my plumbing has already been ripped out & replaced between myself & the previous owner (p.o.). That does look like a very old & thoroughly rusted & corroded original waste pump. Looks like the water supply lines routed beside it are capped at their ends & not attached to it. U would never want the water supply lines to be plumbed to the waste hoses for fear of contaminating your water supply. I would just get rid of the pump if it is suspect. The rust can block waste flow, & if it ruptures at the seams you'll have a real stinky mess to contend with (& an even heavier cleaning job!) Our boats didn't even come with a holding tank as standard until around 1984 or so. The only problem I've had is cloggs forming from toilet paper getting stuck at the thru-hull valve. Its messy but the only way to clean it out is to close the valve, then disconnet the waste hose & pull any gunk out. Otherwise it works fine. Some more consciencous sailors have installed waste holding tanks, usually mounted under the port setee. I don't use our head much, & I figure the crabs at the bottom of the sea gotta eat too! Just kidding. I know I'm gonna hear some flak for that one. If U have any specific ?? drop me a line. Cheers.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
Yeah, that pump looks like toast, most of them that look bad, are. Not sure what setup you have but most of the units have a holding tank to which the toilet pumps directly to. From the tank you can either use a direct pump out at marina or, if it works, the macerator will pump the tank overboard through one of those discharge lines connected to a thru-hull. The other thru-hull is for bringing outside water to flush and fill the bowl, there should be cutoffs to each of these lines. Macerators are easily prone to jamming and when they do they immediately burn out that circuit fuse, so check the fuse for the macerator, and don't be surprised if the wiring at the box is melted.

Jan 13, 2012
Thanks very much for the replies.
That all makes sense but I'm still confused about one thing. If that pump in the picture is the macerator pump shouldn't it pump waste overboard through the hull and therefore not be plumbed to the deck? It looks like the pump is situated between the holding tank and the deck pump out connector.
Thanks
ps- any idea why there would be two water lines routed in that general area as well?
Thanks again,
Alex K.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
I gotta admit, your plumbing doesn't look quite right. The white hose is definitely not sewer hose, that's fresh water hose, needs to be the black sewer hose. You may need to get Peggy, HeadMistress in on this. I think someone did some DIY plumbing at some point.

Jan 13, 2012
I gotta admit, your plumbing doesn't look quite right. The white hose is definitely not sewer hose, that's fresh water hose, needs to be the black sewer hose. You may need to get Peggy, HeadMistress in on this. I think someone did some DIY plumbing at some point.
Thanks Shipwreck, re-posted in Head Mistress section. Alex K.

Status
Not open for further replies.