(New..)Catalina 30/2706-M-15 Lessons Learned

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhamp

Jul 26, 2011
Catalina 38' Key West (seasonal)
Purchased (April 16, 2012) a 1982 Catalina 30/hull number: 2706 now slipped in Key West, Florida.

Had problems with the engine..a couple of lessons learned for those of you new to marine diesels..as I was-

1. A great deal of water and debris in diesel tank. Completely pumped out the tank and cleaned the inside (pumped cleaned diesel into the tank and at the same time "sucked" the diesel out)..$85.00

2. Due to the water in the tank, apparently burned out the fuel pump (as diesel acts to lubricate the pumping cylinder)..replaced at $112.00

3. Water was not coming out of rear after several minutes of running at near temp to open newly installed thermostat; although, the impeller looked fine..no use over a period of time damaged the fins on the impeller; Replaced and water flowed as normal. Thermostat: $26.00 Impeller: $30.00

4. I purchased a handheld heat gun to measure temperatures at various parts of the engine and to validated the temperature gauge as correct..which is was.

Fortunately, there was a Kubota dealer in Key West who was very familiar with the Universal engine. Using the Z500 engine stamp (corresponds with the tractor engine parts list) on the oil dip stick, I was able to purchase the thermostat, corresponding fuel pump at a reduced price over traditional marine engine parts dealer.

In summary, the engine and overall condition of the boat was in excellent condition..the previous owner from upstate NY took the boat out each winter...had almost no contact with salt water until moved to Panhandle, Florida..then down to Key West where I purchased the boat.

Back downrange..hope to get back in late October/Randy

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
When you get back to the water don't forget to add the biocide to the fuel tank. Replace the Racor when it is time to.

These are good diesels. Mine runs well. The maintenance will keep it running long and strong!

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
when you start the engines always check the exhaust flow - no exhaust water, SHUT IT DOWN.

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
by the way, an experienced old tar taught me to keep my ignition key on the exhaust water valve near the engine : that way it's just about impossible to take the key and not open the water valve.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
My 5411 engine is a very similar raw water cooled Universal. If you're concerend about the engine & exhaust getting too hot in warm up mode before the thermostat opens up to allow water flow through the exhaust, then you can close the valve that recirculates the raw water back to the engine thermostat line. I keep this valve closed, unless I am starting the engine during very cold outside temps. I spoke to several diesel mechanics about my concern of the engine not sending any water out of the exhaust until it fully opened up at the thermostat. They stated that its fine to close the thermo. cooling loop to allow water to discharge directly into the water muffler instead of recirculating back to the thermo cooling loop. It just means that the engine will take a little longer to reach its optimum operating temp. My engine runs pretty cool anyway, no more then 140 deg. You can rest your hand on it while running & it won't burn. It will reach operating temp in about 10 minutes anyway, with or without the use of the thermostat loop. I always let my engine warm up at the dock slowly anyway before running in gear. Its always very reassuring to see that raw water discharging through the transom. I am too impatient to wait for that thermostat loop. My engine would send out a white steam until the thermo opened up allowing raw water exhaust discharge which was very unsettling.

Status
Not open for further replies.