New Cat 22 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofia

Jan 29, 2007
- - Leech Lake
I just became a new owner of a Cat 22, as well

I bought a Catalina 22 in great shape (the trailer needs wheel bearings packed, and some beefing up...)...I bought her from a fellow I took sailing lessons from, who is also a broker. Think I got a real good deal...but it's not even February, so it'll be awhile until I get her out on the water. We are looking for a wet slip on Leech Lake to keep her all season, so I can (hopefully) spend enough time to have some stuff become second nature to me...right now, I'm a neophyte...but we all have to begin somewhere, eh? I'm retired now, and still young enough (58) and in good shape...so if I can spend three to four days each week aboard, feeling the wind and how she and I get along...I'm hoping I'll be a much better sailor at the close of the season. I'll appreciate this forum I'm certain...because I'm likely to have a lot of questions. Thanks for being here.

K

kevinb

As far as the injection of epoxy around the holes for cleats on the foredeck, I think if the rest of the deck is sound, it will be fine. I would check carefully around the hatch, if your boat has one. They were an option on the early models. If you do have a soft foredeck, it is not a difficult fix, although it is rather involved and messy. I cannot recommend the C22 Technical Manual highly enough. It is available through the C22 National Sailing Association. You will have to join the Assoc. to purchase it, but I think that membership is worth it's price alone. You will find dozens of articals about upgrading, modifying, repairing, and sailing that are specific to Catalina 22's. In addition, if the specific repair procedure for the foredeck is not on the CD, (my memory fails me sometimes), you will know who to contact to get the information. It tends to be much more specific toward racing interests, but cruising is well represented as well. Again, join the NSA! You will not regret it. Good luck with 883! Hope to see you on a race course soon. Kevin

E

ED

NEW OWNER TOO

I BOUGHT MY CATALINA 22 1972 ALSO IN GREAT SHAPE AT THE BEGINNING OF LAST SUMMER SO I'M PRETTY NEW ALSO. I JUST LOVE IT SO FAR. ITS BIG ENOUGH TO HANDLE WINDY DAYS AND SMALL ENOUGH TO SAIL ALONE. I'M 63 AND ALMOST RETIRED IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE. I HAVE A SWING KEEL WHICH IS GREAT TO BEACH HER AND SAIL SHALLOWER WATER. I'M LOOKING FOR A FURLING GEAR KIT FOR THE JIB. ITS A LITTLE HARD TO RAISE THE JIB ALONE AND A FURLER WOULD HELP ALOT. I'M SAILING IT FOR THE SECOND YEAR AT A LAKE IN CONNECTICUT TO GAIN SOME EXPERIENCE BEFORE TAKING IT OUT ON LONG ISLAND SOUND FOR LONG WEEKEND TRIPS FROM CONNECTICUT TO LONG ISLAND AND BACK. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CATALINA ITS A GOOD SOLID SAILBOAT TO BEGIN WITH. ED

Status
Not open for further replies.