New Cat 22 owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
- - My yard for now, Bath once redone
I just aquired a Cat 22. I'll had the hull number later. Where can I get parts such as a keel winch, keel bolts and general technical information on her? She's a bit rough but largely intact. I'm also going to be asking questions about blister repair and repairing a webbed up area where she apparently hit the dock on her port side near the winch. My biggest question is how heavy is that swing keel? I'm going to be removing it pretty much right off.

D

don

catalina info

Rat man go to www.catalinadirect.com for parts and a great form on all issues that you are going to be dealing with the repairs. keel weight is around 550lbs hope that helps

Z

Zach

Catalina Direct

Look up Catalina Direct. They have just about everything you could ever think you may need. I don't have any experience with blisters, but I just took the keel out of my 22 this past Wednesday. It weighs anywhere between 550 and 600 lbs (250 to 275 kg), so be very careful, go slow, and most importantly be careful. My boat was on a trailer when I took the keel out, but I'm not sure of your set up. Hope that helps. Zach

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
Cool. :)

Thanks. On the swing keel, do the pivot blocks go inside or outside the hull? Mine are on the outside but, that looks like it would cause a lot of drag.

Dec 1, 2005
Catalina 22 New Bern, NC 1978 C-22 #8075 No News
Bath where?

Which Bath are you in (so to speak)?

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Keel blocks

" Thanks. On the swing keel, do the pivot blocks go inside or outside the hull? Mine are on the outside but, that looks like it would cause a lot of drag." The keel blocks should have the pivots pointing up so that they are flush with the hull when in place. If you take them down, you would see that the bolts are to be recessed so that the heads are flush with the block surface and the hull. If you try to change this, I'd do a lot of research on the web about the procedure with regards to safety and support of this 550lb keel. For starters see: https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rwahlfel/www/C22LinkList.htm Esp: Chip Ford - http://www.chipford.com/

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
Bath NC

I've more or less sold my soul to Paulk and Dirk at Bath Harbor Marina in Bath NC. LOL Met Paul through Dirk at the tall ships event in Beaufort where they had taken the Margret (65 ft all wood single mast sloop from the early 1900's) The rest has been being the "motorman" down there helping them keep thing running. Learned a lot and have had a great time in the process. Its probaly where the old girl will land after a redo. Sorta moot though, I can always swipe Dirks ranger29 if I want to go play. :)

Dec 1, 2005
Thought it might be

RatMan, I wondered if you were in NC, and as you know, you're not real far away from New Bern. I've only been out to Bath a couple of times, but it is a fascinating place. If you're ever over this way, and want to meet up, let me know. hiquk9s at yahoo dot com

Nov 17, 2006
Catalina 22 Cary, NC
Is the boat green?

RatMan, Is your boat painted a light green color? I saw a Cat 22 for sale near Belhaven on Hwy 264 a few months ago. For a really good resource check out www.chipford.com. Chip has renovated his Cat 22 and documented the work on his website.

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
Nope, white. Nasty deck repaint. :(

Damn, no one told me it would be this time consuming to get this thing on stands. LOL Oh well, 75% done, time to start easing the trailer foward. BTW, the hull number is 383. I guess that means she is a early boat. Anyone got a clue as to what year she might be? I've got to chase the title as she was abandoned 5 years ago. Storage would be around 6 grand if the titled owner wanted to pay up. I just kinda feel sorry for the old girl and think she has a lot of sailing time left in her. Eric, I'll do that, I dont make New Bern often but, have a buddy who lives over on the Trent with a old ChrisCraft 34 express cruiser, all wood. Neat old boat. Expensive as hell to keep alive though.

Bilbo

Aug 29, 2005
Catalina 22 Ohio
Year for # 383

HI, based upon the number 383 and this site: http://www.slowflight.net/c22-friends/location.html 1971 would be about the year. Could be a good racer. ;) Also see: http://catalina22fleet20.home.comcast.net/techtips/sailnumbers.htm

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
Race? Gotta get good at sailing her first. :)

Good info, thanks for the links. I'll dig the sails out in the next few days and check the number there. I think I'll learn to sail first, then think about racing.

Dec 1, 2005
Trent River & River Bend

Ratman, I'm up off the Trent in River Bend at the end of the channel out to the river. As far as how much time these older boats consume, welcome to the club. This is about the fourth boat I've brought back from the graveyard, and it seems to take longer every time.

M

Mac Smith

Cat 22 Parts?

Congrats on your new boat. I have one I got about 3 months ago. I plan to race, so I have stanchions, pop-top cover, cushions, sink/cabinet for sale. I need a straight rudder, and want to swap my kick up rudder, also.

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
parts are good.

Cool, how are the cushions condition wise? Mine are shot. Mine also has the kick up rubber but, its straight. I'm thinking mine would be better suited to racing as theres a lot missing. :(

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
parts

Mac, two questions what poptop cover do you have? and what are you going to ask for it?

B

bugsboat

pop top cover

I am looking for a pop top cover for my Catalina 22. If yours is still for sale, please send me pictures of the pop top cover and your asking price. Thanks bugsboat@yahoo.com

B

bugsboat

swing keel

I jacked the boat up onto jack stands and removed the keel. The keel weighs around 550 lbs. I found a 3x7 trailer and fabricated keel supports I could attach to the trailer. I then lowered the keel onto the trailer and took it to a local machine shop and had the keel sand blasted and painted with a primer epoxy. I will have the keel faired and back on the boat in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your keel. I found the Catalina 22 National Organization very helpful. I ordered the technical CD that helped a lot.

K

kevinb

I have 383

I am interested in finding out more about your boat, since I recently purchased hull 383. And, by the way, I think it will be a good race boat. Kevin

RatMan

Jan 6, 2007
So I'm blind.

I went ahead and removed the plate and cleaned the paint off. Its #883 not 383. My bad. As far as the boat she was abandoned about 3 years ago. I'm chasing the title now through NC Wildlife. The slip and hard storage bill is over 3K if someone wanted to pay it. LOL Somewhat rough shape but fairly solid. I removed the keel, I have to rebuild the attachement points in the hull as the wood supports are a little weak allowing the keel to flex side to side. Once I figure out how to do that, I'll keep a pictoral record of it. Otherwise there is a little glass work on the port side at the hull joint below the jib winch and I have to redo the foward deck from just behind the kleats foreward. That and redo the bow eye set up. The deck is not soft but the attachemnt holes for the kleats is gone. Do ya'll think injecting epoxy would do the trick? Or do I need to remove that portion of the deck and replace the wood under it? I'd love to avoid cutting the deck as I probaly cant duplicate the texture very well. Once the repairs are made, it gets a full paint job, keel reinstalled, new cabin doors, keel winch and general cleaning inside. I figure I cant afford to redo the cabin fully so it'll remain stripped for awhile. I figure we'll race it some, if I want to cruise in blue water I can hijack one of 5 or 6 boats at the marina including the monster gas guzzler 34 cruisers inc. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.