New Capri 18 Owner

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yeah, looks like it. The stock Catalina boom holding device was a short wire pennant attached to the lower part of the backstay. It had a snap hook that clipped to the eye strap at the boom end when the mainsail was down. That said, I installed a Boomkicker device on my C18, and have never looked back.
Just for clarification, the device you're referring to is often called a " boom pig tail" and is solely used when the sail is flaked and stored on the boom. A topping lift supports the boom during boat's use, sailing or motoring, but generally if the sail is up. It is never advisable to clip the boom to the pig tail if the mainsail is deployed and especially if you are actually sailing. Think about it. If you have a boom kicker, or rigid vang, there is no need for a pig tail. I clipped mine off long ago and got rid of the topping lift as soon as I installed my garhaurer rigid vang.

ErikVR

Jan 22, 2022
Catalina 18 Petaluma
If you ever consider going to a 135 (%) headsail, I highly recommend going back to the CDI Flexible Furler (FF-2) and a furling 135.

ErikVR

Jan 22, 2022
Catalina 18 Petaluma
Just for clarification, the device you're referring to is often called a " boom pig tail" and is solely used when the sail is flaked and stored on the boom. A topping lift supports the boom during boat's use, sailing or motoring, but generally if the sail is up. It is never advisable to clip the boom to the pig tail if the mainsail is deployed and especially if you are actually sailing. Think about it. If you have a boom kicker, or rigid vang, there is no need for a pig tail. I clipped mine off long ago and got rid of the topping lift as soon as I installed my garhaurer rigid vang.
Yes. That's why I said "when the mainsail was (is) down". And BTW, in the Capri 18 Owners manual and rigging guide, Catalina refers to that device as a 1/8" wire pennant (18" long). Further into the manual, they address the use of the pennant.

Attachments

Nov 29, 2021
Catalina Capri 18 Colorado
Broke out the buffer to see what I can do for the worn out looking old girl. I’ve never used one on a boat before so it will definitely take another buffing job later this spring with more prep work to really get her cleaned up but the change so far is pretty dramatic.

734018AC-83C6-4202-97AD-1B69D4F64B02.jpeg
9DBDF964-EC9D-4527-99FE-F637856E78F0.jpeg

51A75A95-FEAF-4E9E-B2FA-09137524E8A6.jpeg

Last edited: