New Buyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sean

Have pretty much decided that the Mac is the boat for me but would like some input on buying experiences: Should I buy in Virginia or out of state? Which dealership have you been treated well at? What options should I add to the basic boat without busting the bank ? What brand 50 hp engine will be best and about how much can I expect to pay? Might it be cheaper to add the engine later by shopping around? Is there an active Macgregor sailing group in the central or tidewater area of Virginia? Thanks!

D

Dean Smith

Get it new

Should I buy in Virginia or out of state? I expect that you will want or need service at first. Buying local will provide that. What options should I add to the basic boat without busting the bank ? I'd recommend a dodger, porta-potie, maybe a bimini in your part of the country. What brand 50 hp engine will be best and about how much can I expect to pay? I bought a 40 Hp Nissan and have not been happy with that choice. (Not enough power to get up on a good plane, so much of the HP is lost.) I am probably going to replace it with a 50 Hp Honda. I think the Honda givces the best power/weight ratio. I've also heard good things about the Suzuki, but it could be difficult getting service on a Suzuki unless you have a local dealer. Might it be cheaper to add the engine later by shopping around? I don't really think so. Is there an active Macgregor sailing group in the central or tidewater area of Virginia? Couldn't say. I live in the Pacific Northwest.

J

Joe C

VA. Mac Dealer

Hi Sean, I spent a weekend receintly with Dan, from Greensboro who has a 26X that he purchased from a dealer in Central VA. He was very happy with the deal and service that he got. Email me and I will put you in touch with Dan. He is very nice and will be glad to answer any questions that you have. Additionally I have a '96 26X for sale with lots of equipment and a great price. JECsunset@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.