New Buyer Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry Triano

I want to buy a new Mac 26X. This is my first boat and I need some advice. I don't want to buy every option and I don't want to regret a poorly made decision later. I was going to get a 26X with a 50 HP Honda, Genoa with furler, head, stove, etc. Any comments? Also, I have the following dilemmas with extra options: Bottom paint or bottom coating, bottom paint, or can it wait? One battery or two, Shore power, extra cabin lights, aux panel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C

Captain Kimo

New Owner

Ahoy Barry - Mine is a 96' Mac26X and only sail on lakes and rivers. Therefore bottom paint is not rate high on my list of have to do items. Get the bimini cockpit shade, mast raising kit, dual batteries (starter + household deep cycle with Perko (Off+ A+ Both +B) (I have the hybrid starter/household batteries from West Marine), lighted bulkhead cockpit compass, surge brakes for trailer, instrument package for motor (low oil, high temp., RPM, Voltage), DC waterproof connection at steering pedestal. Honda 50 is a great motor. Should be 4 cycle and EFI if they have it. It will be more expensive, but the movement is to outlaw 2 cycle motors on many of the lakes as not meeting EPA standard. You thank me when trying to sell later. CDI furler and 140% genoa with UV protection. Third party items: Swim ladder (Havencraft?), butane/propane stove, handheld GPS with DC connection, VHF radio Handheld, Hummingbird Fishfinder (depthfinder). Enjoy Capt. Kimo

B

Barry Triano

Thanks Capt. Nimo

Thanks for your input. I should be buying/looking in the next few weeks. Barry

J

Jim Bailey

New Buyer Dilemmas

Ahoy Barry! I see you are having the same problem I did when I was getting ready to buy my 26X. I suggest the 50hp engine. Honda Yamaha 4 stroke. Surge brakes on the trailer, furler, stove, AND DEFINATELY A HEAD. The Ladies will be very pleased! Two batteries, bimini, VHF hand held or permanently mounted, just for a start. If you are watching your budget like we all do, you can always get the other goodies, bells and whistles later. A lot depends on how much, how often and where you plan to sail. As far as safety equipment, you can never have enough. Good Luck, and Fair Winds Be With You!!!!

J

Jim Wallete

Salt Water

Barry, Look forward to seeing you on the bay this summer. If you are in the salt water all as we are you need bottom paint. I use the ablative type. Very easy to paint on and works like a charm. The first year in the marina I did not paint thinking I could scrub it clean every so often and knock the baby crustacions off but after cleaning all the skin off my knuckles, atracting sharks with all the blood in the water I decided to paint. The second year a quick spray and all was off the bottom. Now starting our 3rd season I can say we got a package of goodies at the AC boat show from South Shore Marina that really was almost perfect for our use. Ths only thing I will get this season is a battery switch and 2nd bat. Our goodies included a 150% genoa on furler, pellican clips on the life lines making them much easier to unhook to board, compass, head and mast raising system, bimini top and the usual ropes, bumpers, coast guard package and they even threw in a complimentary copy of Chapmans. Very nice people. The mast raising system was a waste as you can raise it by hand as we do every season. The one thing we did find was trailering was not for us. It took us at least 1 hour rig up and 1 hour rig down, plus launch time to get the boat in the water. It never went smooth from bent stays and once a dropped mast. We found it was not an effective use of 2 hours to go out for an evening sail. We eventually got a grille that attaches to teh railing and a stereo with cd. Now we can overnight in comfort. If you are dunking in salt water all the time I suggest you do not by the trailer they manufacturer as it is not galvanized, save the $ 1000 off if the dealer will sell you the boat without and spend $ 2000 to get a good galvanized trailer. Our dealer claimed the trailer woudl last 10 years but I have been salt water boating for 15 years and it will not last that long. The 50hp Honda is great, so quiet you can't tell if it is running most times. No oil mixing either. Get a GPS handheld for $150 and a vhf radio for $ 150 especially if you are going "outside". It is not a true blue water boat, not a passagemaker so be careful and watch the condition of the rigging after a few years so you are not snaping a stay at a critical time. Good luck. Look me up in Cape Island Marina weekend day. "JAWS II" is our summer home. Best thing we ever did to totally enjoy the boat was get into a marina. A little expensive but it makes the time 100% enjoyable. JIM and SUE Wallete

Status
Not open for further replies.