New Boat!

Jul 13, 2017
Catalina 275 Annapolis
I ordered one at the Annapolis Boat Show last fall and have a tentative April 16 delivery date--getting close! It will be hull #42, & my crew were tempted to call it Ultimate Answer (-: But given that I am an apprentice astronomer & a SF fan, and that the hull is gray, I lean towards Lensman (thank you Doc Smith!). Which, given that I am 65, makes for a multi-level pun.

Fortunately, the semester here at UMd keeps me busy enough not to get impatient about finally seeing the boat. Unfortunately, the semester here at UMd keeps me busy enough not to be able to enjoy it for nearly a month after getting it, though I think I can carve out enough time for at least one shake-down sail prior to finals.

More anon,
Ken

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
my crew were tempted to call it Ultimate Answer (-: But given that I am an apprentice astronomer & a SF fan, and that the hull is gray, I lean towards Lensman (thank you Doc Smith!). Which, given that I am 65, makes for a multi-level pun.
I caught a reference to "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" there. Was that a part of your intent?

If so, what was the question?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
"What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?"

Mr. Adams' story is WELL worth a read.

Jul 13, 2017
Catalina 275 Annapolis
Well, Lensman arrived, was commissioned, and launched May 24. (The name is a triple pun: a lensman is a photographer, could be an astronomer, and given that the hull is gray, the Gray Lensman was the main character in Doc E.E. Smith's 30's-40's space opera series--I should probably home port it in Arisia if you know the series (-: ). Some issues: no cam cleats for the spinnaker sheets, unlike the rigging/deck plan; no 106 genoa even though I am sure I ordered one; apparently the Doyle APC Maxi instead of the RF chute (I think that is the UPS, going by their website) & no RF for the chute, again contrary to what I ordered (I don't think Doyle offers it for the APC). I sent a note to the broker, but he suffered a brain aneurysm and his business partner is not as up on the technical side of the business, so this is going to take a while to straighten out. Meanwhile the weather here in Annapolis has been mostly yucky the whole month of May & is expected to continue this weekend--so we haven't actually set sail as yet. Can't wait!

Mar 20, 2012
Hunter 28.5 leach lake Walker mn.
Congratulations!!! Its an Assume boat I purchased hull #2 at the Chicago boat show 4 years ago! (The PERF is getting better now, Not sure if that matters to you). The Top down furler makes flying the chute very manageable. I got the stock/standard Doyle "A" with the boat. since then I have purchased 2 other spins, one is almost a code O the other is a more dead down wind sail. I have fun with all of them. I am looking at purchasing the Harken top down furler, nothing wrong with the Seldon furler, but with 3 spins I have to change out the entire system each time I make a sail change. The Harken system lets you change out the sail and leave the furler base and line attached to the bow sprit. I have 2 of the Seldon furlers I wont need... any one interested?? I got the Blue hull, it was the only color available at that point. Grey would have been nice.. Hopefully you've had a chance to take her out for a sail. Got any questions ask away!!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Dumb question is the mast hinged? As in can you raise the mast yourself? Congrats on the new boat. Got any pictures?

Mar 20, 2012
Hunter 28.5 leach lake Walker mn.
No Hinge. I have access to a jin pole to step mine. Fairly long and heavy. I could not do it myself. I had a Hobie 21 that I could step by myself. No Hinge heavier mast no way!!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
I was afraid of that, looking at mast step pictures. Honestly the mast shouldn't be much heavier than my S2 7.9... Can't figure out why manufactures make a trailer sailing boat, that have crane stepped masts.

For the record we don't have a gin pole, and my Wavelength 24 has a keel stepped mast, and 3 of us step it using a block and tackle system from a tree branch. The 275 would be too heavy for it (and tall)... the midpoint of my mast is just lower than the branch. We manage to get a J80 mast up that way, but anything taller or heavier might not work.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
So, it has been a month and a half. How are you enjoying your new boat?

Jul 13, 2017
Catalina 275 Annapolis
It's been epic. The 106 FINALLY arrived and is bent on. Catalina claimed it had been stolen for over a month before checking their storeroom & finding my sail with someone else's boat order! Unfortunately I am out of pocket the next 2 or 3 weekends so won't have a chance to test it out for a while. The self-tacker is fun, but won't go off the wind worth a damn, I find. The main, OTOH, shapes very well & I am pleasantly surprised. I finally learned how to pull the triducer which I am going to have to do constantly here on the Bay if I want a speedo.

Still haven't tackled the spinnaker--can't really make heads or tails of how the sail, halyard, and hardware are supposed to connect up & Selden's manuals are not very instructive. I'm going to have to sit down with it when I get back and tinker.

Basically, it's a keeper & we are gradually learning how to get it in and out of the slip (after dry-sailing for 25+ years!). My crew loves it & so do I. It's a very stable platform & handles Bay chop pretty well, all things considered. Don't know if I can surf it the way I did my Colgate, but we will see.

kk

Jun 6, 2016
Take a look at pages 18-19 of the C275 manual for the diagram. You only have one spin halyard which goes almost to the top so that should be straight forward. I attach the spin furling block one stanchion forward because the line feels just a bit too short otherwise. Fly the spin in up to 10 knot winds and there is not much you can do wrong. This all assumes your dealer at least assembled the sail to the top down furler. If not, let us know and we can take pictures of the assembly.

Jul 13, 2017
Catalina 275 Annapolis
He didn't. I'm trying to figure out how you get the sail & tack line to the drum in one piece & the sail and halyard to the top swivel again in one piece. There are two shackles on there currently attached back to back but I don't know if they stay that way or if one or the other gets moved anywhere or what. Above the drum is a small assembly with a Dyneema line threaded around it & I have no idea what the purpose of that is. It rotates with the drum, but that is about all I can figure out. Flying the chute doesn't worry me once it is attached and up; if you can do a 155 and a conventional chute, one ought to be able to manage a big asymmetric without too much of a learning curve.

Jun 6, 2016
I hope at least the furling cord is attached at both ends for you and it is just a matter of attaching the sail. Here is a picture of the top:

P1030676.JPG

The gray line goes from the head through the three loops and back to the head. The picture of the bottom:

P1030673.JPG

The blue line is tied to the tack, goes through the three loops with the front being the second and back to the tack. I have it tied short to reduce the accidental wrap around the pole or itself, but it still occasionally happens, so keep an eye on it after a jibe. Additionally, I run the furling line to the port side over the top of the jib furling line because I keep the bag on the port side. Lastly, I do not use the 10' clew leash. I tried it a few days ago and I found it much harder to jibe because it lets the clew run 10' in front of the jib before being pulled to the other side. I think you are more prone to a spin wrap using it. I did like it because the sheets could be 5' longer, but being able to make a smoother inside jibe is more important.

Jul 13, 2017
Catalina 275 Annapolis
I note the tack line itself is not used in this configuration, except to retract the pole. Indeed, it is hard to see how it could be used to adjust the tack without a detachable furling part that rides up the torsion line. I recall seeing that configuration in Selden's lineup, but think it is only used with larger boats and bigger setups. With a bowsprit though, I guess adjusting the length of the tack on the fly is less important. So you aren't losing anything by leaving it alone.

Jun 6, 2016
Page 18 of the C275 manual says not to use it. I could see it being useful with a non-furling spin. I occasionally wonder if adjusting the luff tension would be a nice option, but I have not seen anything to suggest that as an option. As is, it seems to do fine. This is a daysailor and not a racing machine.