New boat to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2008
Oday DaySailer -
I just acquired an oday daysailer yestrerday. I believe it is a 1979 model and kind of beat up. It needs a mainsail. Does anyone have the specs for this sail or an old one? Also the centerboard is on some ratchet system that does not seem to work. Can anyone tell me about it and inspection and repair of the centerboard system? Dan

B

bruce

sails

any of the major sail makers have the specs for the sails for the daysailor because of it being a 'class' boat and would have no problem making new sails...otherwise contact dr marine.com for parts that may be available for the keel.

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 27 Cave Run Lake, Morehead,KY
DS Sails for Sale on Trailersailor Website

On the trailersailor.com website there is a set of used sails for an O'Day DS offered by a fellow in Florida for $200. Look under the Classifed Tab and then Gear for Sale.

Jan 22, 2008
Sundance Sundance 20 Weekender Ninette, Manitoba, Canada
I have a book on maintenance and repair of this book if you want

e-mail me at roger02 att mts dott net for more info. Also there is a website devoted to the daysailer at http://daysailer.org/index.php The specs for the mainsail are on the specs and measurement page at http://daysailer.org/dsa_handbook_spec.php These are great boats, well supported by a parts supplier in Annosett MA http://www.drmarine.com/default.asp

D

Dan Fleming

centerboard

I may not have a daysailer 2.. It may be a daysailer 1. There is a ratchet with a lever and release pin on the starboard side of the centerboard trunk. It is nothing like you drew. Thank you though for trying to help. There are parts for the system on Dr marine . com but I don't know how it is supposed to work to start with. Thanks to all replies. Dan

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Posting of previously sent answer

I answered Dan directly, but will post my response here for future reference; OK, what you have is a Day Sailer I, and there really isn't a ratchet. I think what looks like a "ratchet" is the little pawl that is used to hold the CB in the fully up position, and also in the full down position. In reality that pawl isn't even really needed, friction will hold the CB down while sailing (and allow the CB to pivot up easier if you run aground. If you push the lever forward a bit (as if raising the CB) you should be able to pivot the pawl out of the way, then move the lever aft to lower the CB, of course you can't do this with the boat on the trailer since the rollers under the boat will get in the way. I suspect that you can move the CB up/down a bit from underneath due to the hole in the CB where the pivot goes through having worn over the years. The lever has a shaft on it that fits through the CB and the CB pivots on that.....well, the shaft has a round section that pivots in the side of the CB trunk, then is square where it passes through the CB, and it should have a short cone-shaped end that sits in a recess in the inside of the port side of the CB trunk. The whole works is held in place by the triangular plate secured by 3 screws on the starboard side of the CB trunk. As long as you can carefully loosen and remove those 3 screws, it will be easy to remove the lever and then the CB just drops out of the boat (well, once the trailer rollers aren't supporting it! So, you will have to lift the boat about 18" or so above the trailer, or roll her off the trailer and tip on side. My old O'Day Widgeon had the same lever assembly as the DS I and in general it worked pretty good. I doubt that you will need to replace the entire lever assembly, there really isn't anything that wears out enough.....other than the gasket. If you do remove the CB from the boat, and I'd advise you to take it out for inspection and cleaning, you can also check on how much play there is in the square hole in the CB where the lever shaft fits, then determine if you need to shim it or otherwise tighten up the hole with filler. I could probably sketch up something showing how the lever works and should look, but it seems that once you carefully take it apart it should be pretty clear. However, don't be afraid to ask me any more questions, or you could call Rudy at D&R. Hope this is more helpful than the O'DAY DS II CB sketch. PS: My Widgeon was missing that "pawl".....I never missed it! My Dad used to have a 15'9" BEETLE FALCON (a near sistership to the O'DAY Osprey) and his boat had the same basic CB lever and no pawl that he can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.