new boat old motor

Oct 30, 2019
Hi Everyone!I just purchased a 1975 Albin Vega a week ago and already loving sailing it on Lake Michigan! Unfortunately, I am a little spooked by the engine...The prior owner prepared everything for the spring launch so I don't have as much first-hand experience with the motor as I would like. It still has the original Volvo Penta MD6A with the combi-drive. It had been motored at least 3 hours this month prior to this weekend with no issues. The tank had about 2 gallons of diesel from last year. The oil was changed last year and the level looked good.I added 2 more gallons of fresh diesel this weekend and everything seemed fine: no excessive exhaust smoke, it started easily, it ran smoothly. After our sail, we motored into the harbor (about 15 minutes to the harbor mouth) and everything seemed fine until we noticed a slight smell of wood burning as we entered the channel. We took about 15 minutes to motor toward our slip and continued to smell the odor despite the motor performing fine. Once at the dock we opened the motor compartment and found the culprit-- the interior of the door/step at the bottom started to burn including some of the old insulation. It looks a little tight in there and appears that this may have also happened before. I am not sure if it is an issue with the insulation touching the motor and then igniting the wood, if the motor over-heated (maybe a filter got clogged), or if we are looking at a dangerously old engine in need of repair/replacement. I fired up the motor about an hour later and again it started right up. It was a very hot day and we were having to power through some plant debris and 3-5' waves... I am really hoping this is a (scary but) minor glitch.Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated,Ross Fiersten

May 30, 2006
I think the only spot that should be hot is the beginning of the exhaust. Mine is wrapped thickly with this heat cloth tape. Looks like fiberglass cloth, but isnt.I would run the engine at dock and feel for the hot spots. "rfiersten@... [AlbinVega]" AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com wrote:

Hi Everyone!I just purchased a 1975 Albin Vega a week ago and already loving sailing it on Lake Michigan! Unfortunately, I am a little spooked by the engine...The prior owner prepared everything for the spring launch so I don't have as much first-hand experience with the motor as I would like. It still has the original Volvo Penta MD6A with the combi-drive. It had been motored at least 3 hours this month prior to this weekend with no issues. The tank had about 2 gallons of diesel from last year. The oil was changed last year and the level looked good.I added 2 more gallons of fresh diesel this weekend and everything seemed fine: no excessive exhaust smoke, it started easily, it ran smoothly. After our sail, we motored into the harbor (about 15 minutes to the harbor mouth) and everything seemed fine until we noticed a slight smell of wood burning as we entered the channel. We took about 15 minutes to motor toward our slip and continued to smell the odor despite the motor performing fine. Once at the dock we opened the motor compartment and found the culprit-- the interior of the door/step at the bottom started to burn including some of the old insulation. It looks a little tight in there and appears that this may have also happened before. I am not sure if it is an issue with the insulation touching the motor and then igniting the wood, if the motor over-heated (maybe a filter got clogged), or if we are looking at a dangerously old engine in need of repair/replacement. I fired up the motor about an hour later and again it started right up. It was a very hot day and we were having to power through some plant debris and 3-5' waves... I am really hoping this is a (scary but) minor glitch.Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated,Ross Fiersten

Nov 22, 2015
Sounds to me like the flywheel is rubbing on the sound insulation attached to the step/sliding door.Fire in a boat is a very dangerous thing. I would be certain about controlling this thing. This boat sounds like Bella. You could do a search of previous messages for some history. Ralph

Feb 22, 2006
Hi Ross,Where are you located on Lake Michigan?I’ve been sailing my Vega out of Kenosha,Wi these past 20 years.I’ve never seen another Vega.I am aware a few are sailing our fresh water seas. Thanks, Patrick Cooper. Vega #711

Jul 2, 2018
Thanks Ralph,You are right, the boat is Bella. Thanks for the tip -- I was able to talk to one of the previous owners and it was very helpful. I am going to have the engine checked out later this month. Worst case scenario, I may go the outboard motor route for the rest of the season.Ross

Jul 2, 2018
Hi Patrick,I am in Chicago but the boat is in Saugatuck until next season. We have talked about sailing up to Kenosha at some point as my wife has family there. Plus, we love stocking up at Tanuta's!Ross

Feb 22, 2006
Hello Ross,FYI the Kenosha Yacht Club wall is a free tie up for three days.I need to get over to Tenuta’s myself,I’ll give you a lift.