New Boat - Interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen Schwartz

We hope to receive our new Hunter 290 in Feb, 00 and are wondering what to do with the interior wood. We like the idea of low maintenance and thought of trying Lemon Oil at first. Any suggestions.

W

warren feldstein

lemon oil?

Foregive my ignorance. What is the purpose behind the Lemon oil?

M

Mike Alge

Lemon oil

Lemon oil works good on raw or unfinished wood but applied over the varnished interior of your boat will do nothing except make your boat smell like a lemon. Clean with any of the spray cleaners on the market and wax with Johnsons paste wax for wood. You will like the results much better

B

Bob Zolczer

Lemon oil works great

I've used lemon oil on the interior of my 29.5 for five years.I use 2-3 coats a year, no wax buildup, no water spotting and no slippery sole.

B

Bob Knott

Teal Oil

Teak Oil once a year does it all. Can't imagine putting lemon oil on my 380 3 times a year. Gotta go sailing not wiping :) Bob

J

Jim Bohart

Factory finish

Hunter uses Daly's seafin oil on the bulkheads and floor of the 290. Sometimes the oil will settle and you'll get low spots that are visable. I suggest you use some Daly's oil when you first get the boat to add another coat. You'll probably find out that you won't need to use it again for years. The 340 and up have Daly's Profin oil on the floors which set up to a high gloss sheen because it has some catalized resin in it. Both products are widely available. JB

P

Paul Akers

Daly's Address/Number

Hunter may have the finish, but you can contact Daly's at the following address. I ordsered some from them. Daly's Home Improvement 200 105th Ave NE Bellevue, WA 98004 (425) 454-3093 They used to have a web site, but I can't find it anymore.

S

Steve Schwartz

Thanks! I'll Try Daly's

Great Advise. We just want something that is low maintenance, protects and beautifies without having to varnish. Many thanks to everyone!

S

Sam Lust

Why Not?

How about tung oil or boiled linseed oil? Both are inexpensive, readily available (Home Depot ot the local paint store) and effective. Wipe it on, let it absorb in for a while, then wipe off the excess. It forms a sealing layer that protects the wood and imparts a nice satin glow to the wood. Every other season seems to be often enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.