New Boat Bottom Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chip

Before commissioning my new C350 I know that de-waxing is really important before any bottom paint is put on. My question is should I have 2-3 coats of telegraphing paint applied before I put on the bottom paint? How many coats of bottom paint should be placed on a new hull? Thanks for your input.

J

John

Bottom Paint

What does your dealer say about this? I think two coats of paint is the minimum, but it may depend on the paint you use.

C

Chip

bottom painting

The dealer suggests that I go with the normal de waxing (which never is fully complete) and two coats of bottom paint. He also suggests that I wait at least one season before going any further.

B

Bill

Bottomkote

I had the dealer do mine the 1st yr, was included. He used Interlux bottomkote (hard) one heavy coat. They pulled it at the end of the year, power washed it and it looks great. Going to put 2-3 coats of ablative (Bluewater Marine Pro 69 or is it 63)on this year, before we go in for 2 yrs.

B

Bill

Included in comminsioning

Chip- Your dealer will prep and bottom paint with one heavy hard coat (Interlux-Bottomkote) I would suggest you pick two colors and tell them to paint it your second choice color. That way next year you can put on your 1st choice color in an ablative and when it wears down to the other color you know your ready to recoat.

M

Mark

The dealer took care of the bottom paint when we first launched the boat. I am not sure what preping was done but only one coat of bottom paint was placed on the boat. In February 04, 18+ months later, I had the boat hauled and after the power wash there where a couple of bear spots starting to show through. I had two coats of bottom paint put on this time. FYI, The yard manager said I could have probably gone another three or four months with the initial coat. But I had to have the boat out of the water for other reasons so it made sense to do it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.