New beneteau problems

Dec 13, 2012
beneteau oceanis Miami
I purchased a new Benteau Oceanis 41 2012, the list of problems is huge, poor workmanship, mirrors falling, bilge pump not connected, many electrical problems and not mention Simrad electronics that fail every week. Has anybody had similar problems with a new Oceanis 2012

CCHer

Jul 7, 2010
Beneteau 37 Cranes Creek, VA
I bought an Oceanis 37 new last year. I had an issue with the helm pedestal which was corrected during commissioning. Other than a couple of other minor issues she's been fine. All in all very satisfied with the boat.

Apr 11, 2013
Beneteau 373 Chs
I purchased a new Benteau Oceanis 41 2012, the list of problems is huge, poor workmanship, mirrors falling, bilge pump not connected, many electrical problems and not mention Simrad electronics that fail every week. Has anybody had similar problems with a new Oceanis 2012
How much of that list was done at the dealer level?

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Your problems aren't with Beneteau but with your dealer. Most of the complaints about new boats are the dealer's responsibility. When I bought mine the dealer fixed everything, including minor gelcoat problems.

Jul 12, 2012
Beneteau 41 Kemah
I bought a new B41 and have had it a year. I so far have had to replace all simrad electronics, the main circuit panel the stereo and the VHF. Beneteau is saying electrical event and the insurance is blaming faulty electronics. In the meantime I'm stuck in the middle. Boy am I having fun.

Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
My dealer has taken care of many small issues, and even proactively. We had problems with trim, floorboards, sailvac, rigging, stereo, and simrad resets. The simrad problems were fixed by installing 3.0 software and cutting the yellow wire that makes the nss12 turn on automatically when the instruments power is on. All were taken care of so far, and we now get 2 years of warranty.

zoya

Apr 6, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Annapolis
I have had issues too on a new Oceanis 41 put in service in November 2013. Although frustrating, most of them were minor and I was able to fix them myself. The more serious issues, bad bilge pump and problem with fore AC condensation drainage were fixed and covered under Beneteau warranty. I have had no issues at all with engine, electrical or navigation equipment. The proximity of a good and reliable dealer is definitely a plus. The bottom line is that a new boat will always need some tweaks and fixes in the first year, then providing there are no major defects, it should just be a matter or good and regular maintenance. My boat is now a year old and everything is in good order.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Seattle
You must mean November 2012? Mine went into service in 2013, and the warranty from beneteau is 2 years but the boat has to be reviewed, maintained by the dealer at 1 year for the warranty to be extended by an extra year. No cost, seems like this is the new standard. They also expect all maintenance to be done, they got me a free vessel vanguard account, that I believe they track.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Dealers make their money selling you a boat, but earn it in post-sale service. It's like a new house with a punch-list. It's a complex thing and there are always bits to be sorted. A good dealer can help make that as painless as possible. The right frame of mind on the new owner helps as well; understanding that this is part of the deal.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Quality issues, especially with new models, are a nemesis for the manufacturer trying to retain and improve a reputation for quality and reliability. Quality issues are a major headache for the dealer organization because they shoulder most of the blame. The consequence is a dissatisfied customer base. Having a good dealer is one heck of an asset.

The problem for the manufacturer comes not only from in-house issues such as poor workmanship and inability to retain qualified workers, but from the supply chain as well. Granted, the customer pays for and expects zero defects. However, look at the variables introduced into the manufacture of, in many cases, a semi custom craft. Things happen that should not, and customers get upset. The dealer bears the initial aftershock of the customer's dissatisfaction, and a good dealer will do his best to correct a problem. Subsequently a good manufacturer will stand behind the dealer and the product being produced. Te old cliche is that a dissatisfied customer will tell six of his associates about a bad experience, and a satisfied customer rarely says much to anyone.

The dealer and manufacturer cannot address a problem until they are made aware of it. The dealer then has to consult with the manufacturer, and the manufacturer gets to deal with all the related links in their supply chain. For the customer to blame the manufacturer for an electronics problem or defect as an example is not always focusing the responsibility in the right place either. Sometimes it pays for the owner to have a degree of patience in arriving at a final solution to a problem. Understandably they don't because they paid big bucks initially, and they don't want to be denied use of their boat or any of its functions safety related or otherwise.

Now, if a problem develops, and the owner has the knowledge and ability to fix it, then by all means do so. Then document it for both the dealer and the builder. Don't just complain about it.

As a disclaimer, I am neither a dealer nor a manufacturer. I understand the issue from a customer perspective as well as the dealer and manufacturer. I was fortunate in that I bought my boat from a dealer with a great reputation, who went the extra mile in correcting teething problems, and my US built boat had very few of them. Sure, there were things that were not right, but it was easier to correct them myself than to complain. (The only exception to that is the head, supplied by a manufacturer who shall remain nameless.)

Nov 24, 2012
Quality issues, especially with new models, are a nemesis for the manufacturer trying to retain and improve a reputation for quality and reliability. Quality issues are a major headache for the dealer organization because they shoulder most of the blame. The consequence is a dissatisfied customer base. Having a good dealer is one heck of an asset. The problem for the manufacturer comes not only from in-house issues such as poor workmanship and inability to retain qualified workers, but from the supply chain as well. Granted, the customer pays for and expects zero defects. However, look at the variables introduced into the manufacture of, in many cases, a semi custom craft. Things happen that should not, and customers get upset. The dealer bears the initial aftershock of the customer's dissatisfaction, and a good dealer will do his best to correct a problem. Subsequently a good manufacturer will stand behind the dealer and the product being produced. Te old cliche is that a dissatisfied customer will tell six of his associates about a bad experience, and a satisfied customer rarely says much to anyone. The dealer and manufacturer cannot address a problem until they are made aware of it. The dealer then has to consult with the manufacturer, and the manufacturer gets to deal with all the related links in their supply chain. For the customer to blame the manufacturer for an electronics problem or defect as an example is not always focusing the responsibility in the right place either. Sometimes it pays for the owner to have a degree of patience in arriving at a final solution to a problem. Understandably they don't because they paid big bucks initially, and they don't want to be denied use of their boat or any of its functions safety related or otherwise. Now, if a problem develops, and the owner has the knowledge and ability to fix it, then by all means do so. Then document it for both the dealer and the builder. Don't just complain about it. As a disclaimer, I am neither a dealer nor a manufacturer. I understand the issue from a customer perspective as well as the dealer and manufacturer. I was fortunate in that I bought my boat from a dealer with a great reputation, who went the extra mile in correcting teething problems, and my US built boat had very few of them. Sure, there were things that were not right, but it was easier to correct them myself than to complain. (The only exception to that is the head, supplied by a manufacturer who shall remain nameless.)
+ 1. Comments well put. I am fortunate as well to have a great dealer. Sometimes we relate the assembly/manufacture of the boat to a vehicle. In the case of the latter the design is completely in house will components made by 3rd parties especially for that vehicle. Boats are constructed more like homes with various components purchased from other sources that are not designed by the manufacturer specifically for that home.

Sep 8, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Rock Hall, MD
This is my first sailboat, and first new boat. I am keeping a list on my 2013 Oceanis 45, it's getting lengthy. I'm frankly quite surprised with the workmanship. I'm also curious if this is just a problem with the US Factory or does the problem also exist with the French boats.

I upgraded the Radar and NSS software last week. Now I don't have radar. Also my Autopilot locked up the helm last week and wouldn't release it until I ran below and powered down the Electronics. Arrrrr.

My generator is also not pulling raw water, the through hull is clear and so is the strainer. Next step is impeller. It only has a couple of hours on it. I think it is because the strainer is mounted too high and it won't prime. ??

Also the rate compass is mounted within a hands width of the Autopilot Controller, a definite no no.

Ah yes and the bilge pump.......

I'll publish my list at some point.

I met one of my slip neighbors today, they have a 2008 40ft. This is their second Beneteau. They talked of how the fixtures in the newer boat have already started pitting, something that never ever happened in their older Beneteau. ??

As for blaming the dealer? No way! It reminds me of a story that a Chevy Dealer used to tell during talks he would make around the country to suppliers. He talked of how much work they needed to do to the cars when they arrived from the factory back in the day. It was significant and necessary in order to make delivery to the customer . He then talked of the Toyota's of the world who came along. Their cars didn't need any work. My experience has reminded me of that story.

Last edited:

pkum

Oct 2, 2012
beneteau 46 oceanis turku
Hi,

I am a owner of beneteau 46. It works fine - the only problem lies on beneteau side. If I need some help - I never get any answers from the local dealer. Regarding the french side - I have not find any contact email address. So, it seems that when the deal has been closed - there is no need for future SERVICES!:)

Currently I am planning to implement generator. I have not been able to suceed to find any quidelines (implementation/position on boat) about implementation . Ie. Maybe you can help me about this issue. Are you able to sent me some details how your generator has been implementated. Location (Back on right side?) etc.

Regards, p.kumlin

Sep 8, 2013
Hi,

I am a owner of beneteau 46. It works fine - the only problem lies on beneteau side. If I need some help - I never get any answers from the local dealer. Regarding the french side - I have not find any contact email address. So, it seems that when the deal has been closed - there is no need for future SERVICES!:)

Currently I am planning to implement generator. I have not been able to suceed to find any quidelines (implementation/position on boat) about implementation . Ie.Maybe you can help me about this issue. Are you able to sent me some details how your generator has been implementated. Location (Back on right side?) etc.

Regards, p.kumlin
In the States Beneteau has eliminated so called 'Tech Support' at the factory level. The dealers are the Tech Support. So if you have a dealer who is not supporting you that is unfortunate.

As for the generator I can take some photos but I don't think they will be helpful regarding the 46. On my 45 it is located between the aft cabins directly behind the engine. Unfortunately many boats do not leave the factory with that compartment. I started out looking at 3 cabin 473's which were not really conducive to generators. Owners who have added them locate them in the aft lazarette and they are typically the small 6kw enclosed type, for example the Fischer Panda. Unless of course they have the two cabin version whereby there is plenty of space. I'm looking at pictures of the 46 layout and the aft cabins are siamesed sharing the same interior wall so you can't put one there. There would appear to be space below the cockpit sole aft of the cabins but it would depend on accessibility. Jeanneau mounts it there on the new 469, similar to what I mentioned above with the 473. It might be possible to create an access panel in one of the aft cabins and slide it into rear?

There are a number of dealers on the east coast of the US with knowledge of generator installation. The cost I was quoted was about the price of the generator plus about $10,000 for additional equipment and labor. Considerably more than a factory installed unit. Also regardless of how proficient a dealer tells you they are at doing this, I'm always skeptical regarding items installed after the fact.

I think anyone looking at a new or later model boat in the 44+ range and has thoughts of a generator should only consider those that have them installed already. Also as generators become more common place the used buyer will shun boats that don't have them depending on where they are located in the world,thereby affecting your resale value. The same could be said about 2 cabins versus 3 cabins. I noted a large number of 2 cabin 473's languishing on the used market when I was shopping. I don't think the percentage of 2 cabin brokerage boats reflected the percentage that left the factory. But I digress.

zoya

Apr 6, 2012
Beneteau Oceanis 41 Annapolis
Beneteau relies 100% on its dealer network for service, warranty repairs and any other type of assistance. So basically, it's all on your dealer, I assume most of them are competent and provide good services. If you feel your dealer does not meet your ends, your best option is to make the case with Beneteau USA.

Sep 8, 2013
Unfortunately our forum friend above is in Finland. Can't speak to the dealer situation there.

pkum

Oct 2, 2012
beneteau 46 oceanis turku
Thanks,

As you mentioned I m located in Europe so the USA beneteau is not able to help me :)

Anyway. I have two cabin version and plenty of room below cocpit behind the aft cabin. The prioriate location of generator is there. - I was just wondering if someone has pictures etc. regarding this type of implementation.

R.
P.kumlin

Sep 8, 2013
My dealer has a 2 cabin 46 in brokerage with generator. I have a very good relationship with him. Let me see what I can find out. It might take awhile given it is winter and depending on the boats current location.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
Never having bought a new boat, until I read this thread I was surprisingly naïve. I understand that aside from the hull and interior, most of the other things are outsourced. Still, they are shopped and spec'd by the boat manufacturer, and the research and design that goes into cobbling all this stuff together is part of what one pays the big bucks for. I also understand that unlike cars, boat manufacturers don't make enough units to establish the kind of national or international support we've come to expect from the likes of GM or Honda. Nor can they exercise the power carmakers have over their dealer networks. I also imagine that because selling boats is a lot riskier than cars, inducing a dealer to invest in carrying any particular line is a major accomplishment.

All that said, if I plunked down the bulk of my retirement to buy a higher end production boat like a Ben or Jen, I would expect far better quality control and support than I am reading about here. I might accept a few minor glitches, and I sympathize, to a point, with the dealership's lack of enthusiasm for cutting into its profits to remanufacture the boat after sale (I'm sure they understand that like it or not the buck stops with them). I just can't seem to wrap my mind around how that would induce me to let the manufacturer off the hook for selling me a product that has serious problems compelling me in many cases to attempt the fix myself and imperiling my warranty.