New Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 Owner

SSO

Nov 26, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Boston
We started off with a plan to acquire a Porsche Carrera GT this past summer and ended up with a Beneteau Oceanis 51.1. As my intro here, below is the story of how we ended up with the sailboat.

A Porsche Carrera GT has been near the top of my bucket list for quite a few years now. This year, for the first time in a while, the stars all started to align, and it looked like it might actually happen. Then Covid-19 hit, lockdowns were imposed, social distancing became the in trend for 2020, and the Carrera GT became a sailboat. No matter how creative I tried to be, a Carrera GT just could not match a sailboat for social distancing capability, especially the sailboat we acquired, a Beneteau Oceanis 51.1. To be honest, the sailboat idea didn’t completely come out of left field, Karen (Mrs. SSO) and I had looked at powerboats last summer, but the idea of a powerboat just didn’t quite click. A powerboat is much more about the destination than the journey, akin to driving a Bentley Mulsanne. On our road trips, the journey is as, if not more, important than the destination as per our experiences with the Ferrari F40 & McLaren 675LT Spider. A sailboat fits that latter philosophy much better than a motor cruiser.

The road that led us to the Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 was a bit of a twisted one. We originally started looking at motorboats as the belief was that they would be much easier to pilot. My thoughts at the time, based on my sailing experiences as a young adult, were that two of us trying to sail a large sailboat was going to be a recipe for disaster and probably divorce. I still have vivid memories of flailing lines, jammed main sheets, and uncooperative winches all accompanied by lots of yelling by some of my older relatives as being the core of the sailing experience. Turns out a lot has changed in the last couple of decades. When I started doing a bit of research on sailboats it quickly became apparent that sailboats today are designed so that they can be sailed by only 1 or 2 people, assuming they have a pretty firm idea of what they are doing. All the lines are now threaded back to the stern (back of boat), the winches are electric, the main sheet is on an in mast furler, the jib is self-tacking, the helm has an autopilot, and there is a bow (front of boat) thruster to help with docking. This list doesn’t even include all the advances in electronics and navigation. You can literally stand in the stern with one hand on the wheel and raise the sails with a simple push of a button on the electric winch. Once I discovered all this, a sailboat became a very feasible, and preferred, option.

Back when we originally were discussing powerboats, the brief included room to sleep at least 6 comfortably, 2 heads (bathrooms) with showers, decent size galley (kitchen) area, chart table, air-conditioning, and a good size dining table. This interior brief was then applied to the sailboat. At the Newport Boat Show last year, we had decided that if we were going to get a boat, it would be a Beneteau as we really liked the design and build quality. The two Beneteau sailboats that delivered against the brief were the Oceanis 46.1 and the Oceanis 51.1, both of which just happened to be available at a nearby boatyard. At the end of the day after climbing all over both several times, we opted for the larger boat as it has significantly more room in all the cabins and common area along with more headroom so it’s less claustrophobic in the rear cabins.

With the decision made to go forward with the acquisition of the Oceanis 51.1, the next steps were the sea trial, final payment, and the christening. The sea trial went smoothly with the lone exception of my losing a hat overboard, payment was made, and the date for the christening set. Karen did the honors on the christening, although smashing a good bottle of champagne on the bow did pain her greatly, and Vitae Magna was launched.

In the two and a half months we have had Vitae Magna, we were able to take her out at least a couple of dozen times before she was pulled out of the water for winter storage in early November. As we were still very much in a learning mode on the new boat, we only ended up doing a couple of overnighters with the balance being day trips out to the islands. I was really amazed at how easy the Oceanis 51.1 is to sail, how well it handles, and how smoothly it rides through the waves. In a four-foot sea you barely notice the rocking. In a good wind, Vitae Magna will do 10 knots and it moves quite well even in a light breeze. One person really could sail the boat, but it does help to have a second person on board to work the lines on the other side, so you don’t have to run back and forth. Also picking up a mooring solo is not something I would want to attempt. The only moderately stressful part of going out for a sail is getting back into the slip at the end of the day. Backing a 51-foot boat into a slip with only a few feet of clearance on either side is not for the faint of heart. To do it properly you have to get the transom (boat’s butt) perpendicular to the edge of the dock, then swing the bow using the thruster until the boat is parallel to the dock, and then use the motor to back in. It sounds easy until you factor in wind, tides, and currents. Then it’s more like trying to drive a race car on slicks in the rain.

Life on board Vitae Magna is quite comfortable. While it does have a stove, we normally grill off the back deck at night. So far, we have yet to use the air-conditioner as there has always been a nice breeze on the water. The boat does have Wi-Fi so it is millennial friendly, and we can work remotely from it when we need to. I did draw the line when it came to installing a TV, so Vitae Magna is one of the few TV free zones left on the planet. In the evening Karen can normally be found on the back deck, reading with a glass of wine within reach.

Do I regret not getting the Porsche Carrera GT this year? Given the circumstances, no because I know that is still an option for the future. Getting the sailboat has been great experience and I had forgotten just how much I enjoy being on the water. There is something deeply satisfying and rewarding to going out for a sail on a perfect summer or fall day. In many ways the peace and tranquility of being out on the water has been the perfect antidote to the trauma of 2020. For the summer of 2021, I can see us doing a great mix of weekend road and boat trips.

the blog with all the pictures is posted: Porsche Carrera GT to a Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 | karenable

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Nice write up. Welcome to SailboatOwners forums and welcome to sailing! It sure looks like you are jumping in with both feet and enjoying your new boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome to the forum!
I am toasting a fine day in south Louisiana with a great cigar and some old, very good port (old Navy tradition)..
Good to have ya aboard.. enjoy !!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome SSO. Enjoyed the read. It is the journey that engages the sailor. That and the friends one meets in the ports they frequent.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Oh in case you did not know, it is winter and many are not able to be with their boat. A picture of your boat will always be enjoyed. Helps the sailors get through the winter months.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I assume it is obvious that most of the participants on this forum will think you made the right choice. I hope they also agree that after a year or two you will look back and and say how could I have thought otherwise. Cars can be nice but they are not really a lifestyle.
Enjoy!

SSO

Nov 26, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Boston
Many thanks for the warm welcome. We are really enjoying the Oceanis and have already made some terrific new friends. The sailing community has been terrific.

SSO

Nov 26, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Boston
Welcome SSO. Enjoyed the read. It is the journey that engages the sailor. That and the friends one meets in the ports they frequent.

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.

Oh in case you did not know, it is winter and many are not able to be with their boat. A picture of your boat will always be enjoyed. Helps the sailors get through the winter months.
I did try to upload a few pictures but got an error message on file size. There are a number of pictures here: Porsche Carrera GT to a Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 | karenable

Oct 22, 2014
SSO, Just need to get the images into a jpeg size that the system can manage. About 500KB works. Only load one photo at a time. You can help the folks on limited internet if you use the thumbnail images. That way they can choose to download the image or not.

Very pretty boat. You website indicates you lead an interesting life.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Welcome aboard, SSO. It sounds like you anchored out or took a mooring ball for the two overnights. That is our favorite cruising stop, with just the two of us, and nature on the water.

When our boat was new to us, we spent some time practicing docking in our home marina. Learning how to dock bow first, and against a long dock will get you ready to visit other marinas on a cruise. We use a spring line made up to a midship cleat when we dock in either of those situations. Once the springlike is taut, we can maneuver the boat to the dock using the main engine and the rudder. A bow thruster makes it easy!

By the way, our version of "Karenable" is in Joanne's title = Admiral. Our boat came with a bronze plaque on the companionway stating, "My husband is the Captain of this Boat, but I have been promoted to Admiral." The minute Joanne saw it, it became a permanent part of our operating procedures.

Last edited:

SSO

Nov 26, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Boston
Welcome aboard, SSO. It sounds like you anchored out or took a mooring ball for the two overnights. That is our favorite cruising stop, with just the two of us, and nature on the water.

When our boat was new to us, we spent some time practicing docking in our home marina. Learning how to dock bow first, and against a long dock will get you ready to visit other marinas on a cruise. We use a spring line made up to a midship cleat when we dock in either of those situations. Once the springlike is taut, we can maneuver the boat to the dock using the main engine and the rudder. A bow thruster makes it easy!

By the way, our version of "Karenable" is in Joanne's title = Admiral. Our boat came with a bronze plaque on the companionway stating, "My husband is the Captain of this Boat, but I have been promoted to Admiral." The minute Joanne saw it, it became a permanent part of our operating procedures.
Its a beautiful spot.

We have done quite a lot of docking practice. All of it stern first though. Bow thruster may just be the greatest invention of all time. Spring line is a great idea.

Oct 22, 2014
Docking anything over 25 ft can be tricky. Certainly bow thruster are a gift.
Solo sailing teaches you a lot. One thing is that no one needs to jump off a boat or try to fend the boat off when coming into a slip under control.

I have been using a spring line docking maneuver forever. I found this video an easy way to explain it to others.
Like the commercial jingle says. “Try it, you’ll like it. “

It is called the Stern Bridle. I have used it both Bow in 95% of the time or Stern in (a little more tricky but same theory).

Watch “SFS Getting on - Stern Bridle” on Vimeo:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Thanks for posting that John, I've never seen the stern bridle before but now I really want to try it. That looks so much easier than the spring line.

SSO

Nov 26, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis Boston
Here's the latest update on our Benteau Oceanic 51.1:

Owning a large sailboat, our is a Beneteau Oceanis 51, is like owning another vacation home. While a sailboat is technically a mode of transportation, from a cost perspective, the annual ownership costs are much closer to what a ski or beach house run. Given that you could describe our boat as a mobile wind driven 3 bedroom waterfront home, a floating summer beach house is a good way to look at it. Another way to think about it is like having a ski house that you can move from mountain to mountain and always be right on the hill. Like skiing, sailing is very much a lifestyle choice and one that requires commitment to get the most out of. In my experience skiing and sailing provide similar levels of thrill, beauty, sense of accomplishment, tranquility, and occasionally terror.

I still have vivid memories from my sailing experiences as a young adult. The core of experience was mostly of flailing lines, jammed main sheets, and uncooperative winches all accompanied by lots of yelling by some of my older relatives. Sailing today is completely different. Turns out a lot has changed in the last couple of decades. I can literally stand in the stern with one hand on the wheel and raise the sails with a simple push of a button on the electric winch. All the lines are now threaded back to the stern (back of boat), the winches are all electric, the main sheet is on an in mast furler, the jib is self-tacking, the helm has an autopilot, and there are both bow and stern thrusters to help with docking. All the advances in electronics and navigation have made it very easy to plot and follow courses while avoiding underwater obstacles.

We have christened our boat, Vitae Magna, and it has been a good life aboard her. In the two and a half years that we have had Vitae Magna, we have taken her out at least two dozen times each year. For us the season starts in early May and ends in late October. While most of the outings are day trips over to the islands, we have done a fair number of overnights as well. I continue to be impressed by how easy the Vitae Magna is to sail, how well it handles, and how smoothly it rides through the waves. In a four-foot sea you barely notice the rocking. In a good wind, Vitae Magna will do 10 knots (11.5 mph) and it moves quite well even in a light breeze. One person really could sail the boat, but it does help to have a second person on board to work the lines on the other side, so you don’t have to run back and forth. Also picking up a mooring solo is not something I would want to attempt although I have seen it done (it involves a lot of running back and forth). The only moderately stressful part of going out for a sail is getting back into the slip at the end of the day. Backing a 51-foot boat into a slip with only a few feet of clearance on one side is not for the faint of heart. To do it properly you have to get the transom (boat’s butt) perpendicular to the edge of the dock, then swing the bow using the thruster until the boat is parallel to the dock, and then use the motor to back in. Depending on the current and wind direction, you also need to use the stern thruster to keep it lined up with the dock as you reverse. It sounds easy until you factor in wind, tides, and currents. It’s akin to driving a race car on slicks in the rain. It’s all fine until it suddenly is not.

Vitae Magna is 50 feet long, 16 feet wide, and draws 7 feet. Vitae Magna sleeps 6 in 3 cabins, has 2 heads (bathrooms) with showers, decent size galley (kitchen) area, chart table, air-conditioning, heating, and a good size dining table. The boat does have Wi-Fi so it is millennial friendly. She has both a generator and solar panels so we can power a fair number of appliances on-board for as long as the sun, batteries, and fuel tank last. Life on board is quite comfortable with a fridge, freezer, oven, stove, microwave, Jura espresso maker, and washer/dryer. We also have a hot plate and grill which swing open off the back deck over the swimming platform.

We are very fortunate that we have a number of islands within a short sailing distance. Many of our daily sails involve sailing out to one of the islands, finding a beach, dropping the anchor, and BBQ’ing off the back of the boat. After lunch we normally would take the dingy into the beach and let the dogs go for a run and a swim. The balance of the afternoon was normally soaked up by a few dips in the ocean off the back swim platform on Vitae Magna, soaking up the sun, before heading back to port. As much as we enjoy being out on the boat together with our dogs, it’s also a great experience to share with friends. With three cabins and plenty of room both above and below deck, we can comfortably take a 8-10 friends out for a daily sail and Lobster Rolls or a smaller group out on overnights. As we only moved to the area a few years ago, sailing has helped us turn new friends into good friends and opened up a number of great new opportunities to meet people.

So far, we have only had two hairy experiences on Vitae Magna. The first involved docking and the second a massive, unexpected gust of wind. On the first, in what can only be described as a massive brain fart, our dock master decided to allow a massive 90 foot yacht to tie up alongside the dock that runs parallel to the entryway of the marina. When I radioed in that the entrance appeared to be blocked, I was told that they had measured, and I should have about 3 feet clearance on either side. While that might sound like a lot, when you are piloting a 15 ton sailboat moving at 2-3 knots in both a stiff wind coming from the starboard side and strong current running against you, the room for error is tiny. It’s like trying to pass Max Verstappen on the outside in a tight corner. It’s unlikely to end well and way or another, you are going to run out of room. While we finally made it into the marina and our slip, it took 9 attempts to get Vitae Magna lined up perfectly to shoot through the small marina entryway gap. After the first couple of aborted times, we finally got the massive yachts crew to put out fenders in case we did drift. While it ended well, two big boats scrapping would have been an expensive outcome.

The second hairy experience came via a completely unexpected gust of wind. I was at the helm and we were cruising along nicely at about 8 knots in moderate wind. Suddenly we got hit broadside by massive gust. Vita Magna heeled over suddenly to the starboard side and I my legs swung up vertical to the deck as I held on to the wheel for dear life. Mrs. SSO very helpfully yelled at me to hold on. As soon as I got my feet back underneath me, I got the boat turned up into the wind and back under control. The whole thing probably took 30 seconds, but it felt like an eternity. While it ended well, had I gone over the side, it could have turned into a major mess.

Owning a sailboat is definitely a serious financial commitment. As a reference, we spend more on Vitae Magna, every year than all our supercars combined. Using the annual ownership costs of our ski house (including lift tickets and ski equipment) as a benchmark, Vitae Magna comes in at about $20k over. The major expenses are winter storage at $8k, end of season service and winterization at $10k, spring recommissioning at $15k, summer slip rental at $15k. Cleaning, waxing, and other miscellaneous charges for things that need fixing, can easily add another $5k per season. Add it all up and you get to about $55k pretty quickly. It doesn’t help that our local marina is a key driver of inflation in the US and most of these costs have risen very substantially in the last 2 years.

So, given that sailing makes skiing look inexpensive and can end badly in so many different ways, what’s the appeal? It’s really the whole experience from mastering the wind to get from point A to point B, finding a quiet bay to drop anchor in, BBQ’ing fresh scallops for dinner on the back deck, taking our Labrador Retrievers to the beach in the dingy for a run, sleeping while the boat gently rocks as the tide moves out, waking up to the sun rise, having fresh coffee on the deck, and diving off the back for an early morning swim to wake up. It’s a basket of experiences that ranges from the decedent to the sublime.

A sailboat is more about the journey that it is about the destination. Life on board Vitae Magna is quite comfortable. Whether it’s a day trip or a multiday voyage, time on the boat is a wonderful relaxing experience. While there have been a couple of hairy moments, the ones that we have had are very few and far between. However, everything feels right in the world when you are driving a beautifully designed sailboat on a sunny summer day.

The article with all the pictures included is posted Beneteau Oceanis 51.1 – A Floating Beach House | karenable