New Bedford, MA local knowledge?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Hi there,

Thinking of visiting New Bedford next week. Anyone familiar with sailing there, taking a mooring, dinghy docks, etc.?

Thanks,

jv

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I know people who have taken cover there in stormy weather. They stayed at marinas. Do you use Dockwa? Suggest you give them a look, if only for background.
Rick

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
There's a public dinghy dock on Pope's Island, just east of Pope's Island Marina's docks. If you go under the drawbridge on the west side of Pope's Island (under Route 6), just past the bridge on the right is a good restaurant, Fathom's, that is dinghy friendly. There's a dinghy dock over by the Ferry Terminal on the West side of the harbor (near the police boats) - puts you right near the dowtown. Much of the harbor is industrial - the south side of Pope's Island is the place to be. Call Pope's Island Marina for mooring rentals.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
If you are looking for a good local restaurant that caters to the working crowd, try Antonio's. We ate there last January. Large portions, reasonably priced. Nothing fancy, just good Portuguese food.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
If you are looking for a good local restaurant that caters to the working crowd, try Antonio's. We ate there last January. Large portions, reasonably priced. Nothing fancy, just good Portuguese food.

Thanks, looks great!

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
We slip at Pope Island. @dmax gave you good advice. Dining has changed a lot with Covid. Fathoms is an easy walk with outside deck. The Black Whale also had outside dining. It’s definitely an industrial city with one of the largest fishing fleets on the east coast. We like Elizabeth’s but it’s small and indoors. We haven’t been this season. I wouldn’t swim off the boat Inside the hurricane barrier. The whaling museum is worth a visit but again Covid has changed everything this season.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
@jviss funny the admiral is suggesting we try Westport. Never been. How is the mooring situation there? Dockwa is not showing any availability.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
@jviss funny the admiral is suggesting we try Westport. Never been. How is the mooring situation there? Dockwa is not showing any availability.
Hi there,
Transient moorings are available, at $47.50/per night. Send me a private message and I can give you my number, and a number to call and a contact for a mooring. They might have dockage, too.

If you decide to go, pay strict attention to the buoys coming in. Make sure you don't accidentally cut a red. If it's low tide you might want to stay more on the green side of the channel. There's significant current, 2 to 2.5 kt on the ebb and flood.

If you're hanging out on the boat, there's a "boat beach" which is very popular you can dinghy over to, on the South bank just West of Cory's Island. From there you can walk all the way around to the town beach, "Cherry and Webb Beach," and past that all the way to the state beach, Horseneck Beach.

There's a restaurant you can dinghy to, too, The Back Eddy, up the East branch before you get to the bridge. They may have transient dockage.

Across the river from the Back Eddy is the commercial dock. There's usually a guy selling lobsters off his boat. Last week was $7/pound.

The boatyard has ice, and you can water-up at the fuel dock. The "store," such as it is, is more for parts than anything else.

There's a launch service, "Tripp launch" on Ch. 9 (for F.L. Tripp and Sons, the name of the marina). It's what I call a blue collar marina, no pretension at all, and then again, nothing fancy. Expect nothing and you will not be disappointed. But good, solid, honest people.

Great sunsets.

Cheers,

jv

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
JV,
I booked two nights at FL Tripp on Dockwa this morning. We've never been and wanted to try something different. Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing but great reviews on Active Captain! Checked current tides and winds before booking and they all favor the trip in both directions. We should be there at high tide with a 2 knot current going in (5:30ish).

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
JV,
I booked two nights at FL Tripp on Dockwa this morning. We've never been and wanted to try something different. Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing but great reviews on Active Captain! Checked current tides and winds before booking and they all favor the trip in both directions. We should be there at high tide with a 2 knot current going in (5:30ish).
When are you arriving?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Not exactly sure but should be around 5:30 ± half an hour. I'm figuring about a three hour trip unfortunately the winds are 4-8knots E to SE so it may require motor sailing.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Not exactly sure but should be around 5:30 ± half an hour. I'm figuring about a three hour trip unfortunately the winds are 4-8knots E to SE so it may require motor sailing.
Ha, I meant what day! Today?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
By the way, not sure how they are operating these days, but the Westport Yacht Club, just East of Tripp's marina, was open to the public for breakfast: paper plates and styrofoam cups, but good portions, cheap prices, and a table with a view on their deck. Tie up at their dinghy dock. It's literally right next door to Tripp's.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beautiful night here in Westport grilling halibut and sipping a 12 year old Scotch. Doesn’t get any better

1596242068566.jpeg