New arch for P42

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Starting to research a new arch for the stern of my '93 P42 CC. Have a low rise davit system in place now which is sufficient for inland cruising but we are now full time cruisers in and off shore. I want to incorporate solor panels and a lifting system for the outboard. Wondering if anyone has completed this task. Currently on the east coast of Florida and have an inquiry in to Atlantic Towers in Ft. Lauderdale.
Thanks

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
I recently put an Atlantic Towers arch on my 37. A friend and I did it in 2 three hour sessions. The biggest issue was just the trial and error required to see where to put it through the railings and get it level. We would put it in place then determine need to cut, then put it back in place. Just several factors in cutting and placing to get it just so.

Any questions I'm glad to respond.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I recently put an Atlantic Towers arch on my 37. A friend and I did it in 2 three hour sessions. The biggest issue was just the trial and error required to see where to put it through the railings and get it level. We would put it in place then determine need to cut, then put it back in place. Just several factors in cutting and placing to get it just so.

Any questions I'm glad to respond.
Do you have any pictures and what was the cost, excluding labor.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
I've slept since then. I got a nice boat show discount. Seems like it was just over a thousand, maybe 1100 1200.

Apr 21, 2017
Hunter 42 Passage Punta Gorda
I installed an Atlantic Towers arch a few years ago on my P42. As mentioned the hardest part is positioning, deciding, cutting the tubes and drilling the mounting brackets. It was a tough job but I'm happy with the result and quality of the arch. I don't recall the final cost but had purchased the additional brackets for solar, wind and davits. In hindsight the options were expensive for what the are.....

20200319_181938_HDR.jpg
20200319_181950_HDR.jpg

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
Hi Jim
Is the davit system strong enough to lift the dinghy and motor? My system now requires me to remove the outboard and place it on a mount. Then lift the dinghy separately. In its fully lifted position it is only about 4' above the waterline. Not comfortable with that when we go off shore so I'll place it on the fore deck. Works well but not very convenient. Also incorporating new wind and solor is in the plan, so the arch, if not terribly expensive, seems to be the way to go.
Thanks

Apr 21, 2017
MBaker - I have Garhauer block & tackle (didn't come with my arch) and have lifted the dink and 5 hp 2 cycle motor (estimated weigh ~160 lbs total) and the arch was strong enough for coastal cruising. (I won't sail in rough sees like this and would put the dink on the foredeck for any long distances open water sailing). Normally I pull the OB and mount it on my stern pulpit.

Dec 29, 2012
Hunter 37 Jacksonville
The Atlantic arch guy said that the standard arch would easily support approx. 250 - 300 pounds. There is a heavier duty one if you feel you need more.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............Currently on the east coast of Florida and have an inquiry in to Atlantic Towers in Ft. Lauderdale............
Good choice!!! Excellent photos and testimonials on this thread from those that installed them. Curious if you installed schedule 40 or 80?

Apr 21, 2017
Good choice!!! Excellent photos and testimonials on this thread from those that installed them. Curious if you installed schedule 40 or 80?
I install the schedule 80 and attached a picture of the packing list if that helps - this was for a 1991 H42. Again I'd probably not buy all the optional add-on (didn't need/use the davit extensions).
20200331_113803.jpg

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
Jim H_42
Did you have any trouble accessing the starboard lower leg backing plate? It seems the propane locker has closed the accessibility to the needed location. I have not recieved the tower yet but it looks like it may be a trouble spot. Also did you use the standard 3.5" mounts or go to the smaller ones?
Thanks, Mike

Apr 21, 2017
Mike - I used the standard mounts. Although I didn't have a propane locker to deal with, it is difficult to get to a well supported point in that area. I would have liked to mounted the arch closer to the upper corner where the deck, stern and hull connections all meet but couldn't get everything to line up well there.

My kit came with backing plates that were perhaps 1/8' thick. These seemed a little inadequate to me - so I also created backing out of G10 connected to the hull with Evercoat Kitty Hair resin. This provided a flat/firm area that the then supplied plates were mounted. On the exterior, the upper mounts overlap the raised deck joint so I put a starboard spacer beneath the lip.

In mounting the arch, I created a bridal and used the main halyard to pull it up (I remember wishing I had left/kept some of the packing material around the arch legs to protect the boat on the initial fitment). I recall needing to use a couple ratchet straps to pull the legs into place and create the 'pre-load' recommended by Atlantic. I initially had doubts it would fit but it does and the pre-bend is important per the (limited) instructions. I'd recommend having 1 or 2 helpers - preferably engineer types and really take your time.

It was a lot of mental, physical and stressful work (as they say measure twice cut/drill once). You don't realize how large an arch is until you start swinging one around.

Good luck.

Attachments

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
Thank you Jim. Appreciate all the advice. Will post pics when complete.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I installed an Atlantic Towers arch a few years ago on my P42. As mentioned the hardest part is positioning, deciding, cutting the tubes and drilling the mounting brackets. It was a tough job but I'm happy with the result and quality of the arch. I don't recall the final cost but had purchased the additional brackets for solar, wind and davits. In hindsight the options were expensive for what the are.....

View attachment 176150View attachment 176151
Nice welding work.
Trust you put sizeable backup plates inside the hull??