New anodes in old Yanmars?

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
I am in the process of overhauling the cooling system on my circa 1983 Yanmar 3QM30. It is designed as a raw-water cooled engine - heavier castings, zinc anodes, etc. - but was supplied from Hunter with a closed-loop glycol cooling system, a Sendure heat exchanger, and a separate Jabsco salt water pump - so none of the engine actually sees salt water. I have just replaced both water pump impellers, all the hoses, and have overhauled the heat exchanger. I put a wrench on the anode plugs on the engine, but they are not going to budge without considerable persuasion. I am not going to try and replace the engine anodes. After all, automotive diesels don't use anodes in their glycol cooling systems; they rely on the corrosion inhibitors included in the coolant chemistry. Why should it be any different for my Yanmar?

...And yes, I did put a new pencil anode in the Sendure heat exchanger, the only part of the system that sees salt water.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That is fine, Jim. The GM series of Yanmars does the same thing .. The sea water cooled ones have anodes installed, and the GMF ones are the same engine but supplied with the heat exchanger. They do not have anodes. The metallurgy of the parts and the chemistry of the coolant inhibits corrosion.