New Airmar Technology

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
This is from Soundings Magazine Newsletter. I think it's interesting. It looks like a step up to me. I'd like to know what others think.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Interesting. I do notice that my calibration goes off depending on heel and trim, so a way to dynamically compensate for that would be cool. Having said that I’d also like it if Airmar would fix some of their more basic issues, like lack of durability of the temperature sensors and water stopper flaps.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Of course they come out with that right after I upgraded to the previous model Airmar DST.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Well of course when you finally get a sale price it means that a new update is coming. But rest easy the new one may require updates of software, may not be fully functional in your existing unit, or would require a new unit. So ... Be happy!

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
But that calibration technology is pretty much pointless because it's all connected to the stupid paddlewheel that will foul in a few weeks -- introducing far more error than the effect of heal. Most cruisers I know get tired of cleaning the paddlewheel and just use GPS speed.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
The paddlewheel can definitely be frustrating, but in our area, the difference between paddlewheel speed and GPS speed can be 50% or more.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The paddlewheel can definitely be frustrating, but in our area, the difference between paddlewheel speed and GPS speed can be 50% or more.
So your conclusion would be? Get rid of the paddle wheel and just use GPS, or stick to the paddle wheel?

dj

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I like having both, I like the paddlewheel data for AWS using STW. I have both STW and SOG scrolling on my chart plotter, but I have my two B&G Triton T41 displays showing the paddlewheel boat speed/depth page on one display, with composite wind data page on the other. This summer, my paddlewheel has been less susceptible to fouling. I don't know whether it's our new location or that we are using it more frequently.

I absolutely agree that it's a PITA and frustrating to head out and suddenly realize that it has fouled since we last sailed. I thought I had seen a new transducer a couple of years ago that did not use a paddlewheel for speed, but it was outrageously expensive, and if it actually worked well enough then I think there would be ads for it all over, and I just haven't seen it recently...

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I sail where there is no current to speak off…so usually just read GPS speed. My paddle wheel is off when on a port tack and leaning…must be the location.

I understand why it would be important in any locations where you are dealing with current.

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
a new transducer... that did not use a paddlewheel for "WATER" speed, but it was outrageously expensive
I saw those. I thought they were an idea that is still being developed. Ultrasound sensing. Like the units being used to sense wind speed.

You are correct about tidal speeds being a challenge in our PacificNW waters. While the exact speeds are not always available, with some preplanning using reported currents from data sights like DeepZoom, you can get a good idea and be able to create an ETA in planning. Then compare the ETA you calculated to the ETA shown on the SOG data using your GPS on the CP. If you are ahead the tide current is less than you calculated. If you are going to take longer then the current is greater than you expected. My estimates usually work out to within 15min. Unless I vary my course and search for those back water currents that give you a speed boost when all are caught in the main flow. Then you can surprise folk. Hey... Why is he going forward and we are going back words.

Basic pilot training. When the electronics starts to wander... FLY THE PLANE... while you work on recovering the electrical stuff. If you can not get it to come back... and the automatic things are gunny bag... FLY THE PLANE AS YOU WERE TAUGHT.