New. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2011
Lancer L25 New Bern
I just bought a 79 L25 and know absolutely nothing about sailing, but want desperately to learn. I plan to go out to the edge of the Pamlico Sound this weekend under motor power only just to get a feel of the boat. Any advice, information or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good morning Queen Anna. I would start with a good book on sailing (e.g., ASA, Dummies, etc) to begin to understand the terms and different points-of-sail. Then find a sailing friend, who possibly has a boat, and go out for several afternoons to see how sailing is accomplished. Then invite them to sail on your boat. Your L25 is probably rigged differently than their boat. Taking a local dingy sailing class is a great way to learn how to sail because the action/reaction behavior is much quicker in a dingy than on a larger/heavier boat.

Also, know that a sailboat under sail behaves differently than one under power alone so it will be hard to "get a feel" for your new craft and depending on the water conditions it might not be comfortable under power alone. Hope this helps. Steve

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Just going to motor around? Do you know how to do that?
Steve's advice is rock solid. Get some instruction before you venture out or you could end up a statistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.