New 331 - bow waterline under water - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuck

Hello all, I looking at purchasing a new or slightly used 331 with a 5'5" keel. Today, one was in the water and the boot stripe was in the water -- meaning the bow waterline was in the water. The reviews mention that this is a common problem with the shoal keel model when the water tank is filled. However, is this also the case with the 5'5" keel model? I am close to closing a deal and desperately looking to address this potential issue. Thx so much, -Chuck

T

Tim

Where is the tank?

Is the tank under the v-berth as it is in the 321 too? We just bought a 321 and I noted that problem when looking at the model, but don't think it will be an issue. Remember when you put some people in the cockpit, it'll balance out. Also, fill up that aft cockpit locker with bikes, dinghy, and all the other stuff that will fit in there, and again it should balance it out. One solution I thought of was to put bladder to hard tanks under the settees as well. That will move the weight aft and probably give you some more potable water capacity too. Cheers, Tim

D

David Walters

Is this really an issue

It seems to me that the only real concern is getting fouling on the bow. Once you've got crew aboard, having fun and your favorite beverage in the cockpit, she'll be level. This could also be a good thing performance-wise too. I see a lot of sailboats dragging their sterns around creating all sorts of drag. With the bow down, the water flows more smoothly off the hull. But If your not planning on sailing it and only want it to look good sitting at the dock, then this is a huge problem. ;>)

H

Henry V

move water line

I have a 331 - before launch this year I simply moved the waterline up when I redid the VC17 - end of problem.

C

Chuck

What is VC17?? Excuse the ignorance : )

Not currently an owner, is this some sort of special Beneteau bottom paint? Thx, -Chuck

H

Henry V

yes bottom paint

VC17 is a bottom paint by Interlux that incorporates copper and teflon - it provides a good fast bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.