New 1986 272 owner/novice sailor

Jul 12, 2020
O'day 272 Inlet Watch Yacht Club
Hi All,

I am looking forward to learning from experienced folks. I am sure to ask many questions.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jul 12, 2020
The boat is in pretty good shape, with good sails, new 9.9 Yahama with 4 hours. Have bill of sale on the motor. New running rigging, new vhf radio. Has a bimini and a soft dodger, so not too much of a project... One thing is the carpet on the walls and ceiling. Not a must do, but do people replace the carpet with wood? Being a trim carpenter/cabinet maker, I assume it would need some kind of furring strips, then the finished product installed. Anyone have experience with this type of project?

Cheers!!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your new to you boats was launched in 1986. You should with care look to the sky and affirm that the standing rigging and the fixtures on the mast are sound and of good quality. It is easy to string new "running rigging". It is a big project to assure the fixtures and wires are properly stretched/installed/not corroded.

I knew when I bought my 1974 boat that the mast and rigging would be suspect. I was surprised when chatting with the "mast whisperer" who helped refit my mast and rigging that he estimated 60% of the boats in the marina were are risk of losing their masts due to ignored maintenance.

Pictures of your projects are encouraged.

Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I try to check the auto correct feature, but sometimes stuff slips by these eyes.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
The boat is in pretty good shape, with good sails, new 9.9 Yahama with 4 hours. Have bill of sale on the motor. New running rigging, new vhf radio. Has a bimini and a soft dodger, so not too much of a project... One thing is the carpet on the walls and ceiling. Not a must do, but do people replace the carpet with wood? Being a trim carpenter/cabinet maker, I assume it would need some kind of furring strips, then the finished product installed. Anyone have experience with this type of project?

Cheers!!!
B8378B7D-5EFD-4926-9658-685F94C95DE1.jpeg Under construction in our First38s5. I used 1/4 in cedar t+g on 1/2 x3/4 in. battens.

Jul 12, 2020
Hi Michael,

That is pretty much exactly what I am thinking. Are you using epoxy to adhere the battens to the walls and ceiling or??? Looks like some type of rigid insulation behind the cedar?

Thanks so much for your photo!

Jesse

Jan 5, 2017
Jesse , I used 5200 to glue the battens on.I put kerfs in but next time I think I will cut them into 1 or2 in. Length to glue on. Even with kerfs they had to be braced until the glue set. The insulation I used was a double layer of laminate floor underlay. Seems to work OK.

• Helpful
Jul 12, 2020
I figured they might have to be braced until the glue set. I am wondering if trying to scribe the battens to follow the boat contour might work. Maybe use 1x2's or something...

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

Tongue and groove 3/8 closet lining. I removed the old crappy panels. I used contact cement to adhere PVC 1"x 1/2" strips every 12 inches. I then used stainless steel staples to attach it to the strips. The cedar is good for its smell and its bug deterrent properties. When it stops smelling, I take some fine sand paper and give it a quick once over and it releases that beautiful cedar smell.

Jan 5, 2017
I figured they might have to be braced until the glue set. I am wondering if trying to scribe the battens to follow the boat contour might work. Maybe use 1x2's or something...
True, but 1x2 May cut a lot of interior space. Does give you a flat wall however. I’m not sure how curved your hull is and how much space you would lose doing that.

Jul 12, 2020
Good point. I wonder how true the curvature is in general. I haven't worked on a boat so no real idea what to expect. But my 30 years as a remodeling contractor has taught me to have fairly low expectations if someone has done prior work. Most people lose patience and just get it done. I guess I would think that boat builders take pride in their work because it is pretty esoteric and exacting. I will learn soon...

Jul 12, 2020
View attachment 182268

View attachment 182269

Tongue and groove 3/8 closet lining. I removed the old crappy panels. I used contact cement to adhere PVC 1"x 1/2" strips every 12 inches. I then used stainless steel staples to attach it to the strips. The cedar is good for its smell and its bug deterrent properties. When it stops smelling, I take some fine sand paper and give it a quick once over and it releases that beautiful cedar smell.
Looks nice Robert!!!