New 170 sailor

Apr 17, 2023
Hunter 170 Lake Arthur
TLDR I messed up my boat and I need help.

So I took the boat out for the first time, in a little more wind than I wanted, and discovered some issues the hard way. I need to learn how to furl the mainsheet and the jib (which I didn't really understand how to attach the furler, which caused other issues). The wind was blowing probably 9-10 knots directly away from the launch, so we immediately took off on a run across the lake. I decided to head up so that we weren't getting too far away. The clip that holds the block that attaches the mainsheet to the boom was missing, and as soon as I pulled the mainsheet in, the makeshift piece I used snapped. I pulled the mainsheet down and we began tacking back in forth with just the jib, but it was really hard to gain any ground it took us forever to get close to the dock. When I finally figured it out and we were about 40 yards from shore, the hardware that held the tiller on loosened and fell off into the lake. Unable to steer, we drifted. into some. rocks in. the woods and. had to call park rangers to tow us back to the launch.

So, I believe I need to replace this. Hunter 170 block w/fiddle 57mm

I'm trying to figure out what I need for the tiller. Here's what it looks like.

Tiller 1.jpeg
Tiller 2.jpeg
Tiller 3.jpeg

I also think I might want to splurge and put a motor mount and a motor on there. Gas seems easier? More expensive? no idea what I'm doing there.

Also the topping lift seems to be a little weathered so I think I should replace that?
Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
TLDR I messed up my boat and I need help.

So I took the boat out for the first time, in a little more wind than I wanted, and discovered some issues the hard way. I need to learn how to furl the mainsheet and the jib (which I didn't really understand how to attach the furler, which caused other issues). The wind was blowing probably 9-10 knots directly away from the launch, so we immediately took off on a run across the lake. I decided to head up so that we weren't getting too far away. The clip that holds the block that attaches the mainsheet to the boom was missing, and as soon as I pulled the mainsheet in, the makeshift piece I used snapped. I pulled the mainsheet down and we began tacking back in forth with just the jib, but it was really hard to gain any ground it took us forever to get close to the dock. When I finally figured it out and we were about 40 yards from shore, the hardware that held the tiller on loosened and fell off into the lake. Unable to steer, we drifted. into some. rocks in. the woods and. had to call park rangers to tow us back to the launch.

So, I believe I need to replace this. Hunter 170 block w/fiddle 57mm

I'm trying to figure out what I need for the tiller. Here's what it looks like.

Tiller 1.jpeg
Tiller 2.jpeg
Tiller 3.jpeg

I also think I might want to splurge and put a motor mount and a motor on there. Gas seems easier? More expensive? no idea what I'm doing there.

Also the topping lift seems to be a little weathered so I think I should replace that?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Sorry you ran into problems, but that's how you learn!

At least you didn't break your mast on a power line like, erm, someone I know.... :what:

I would vote yes on the motor mount, and give a thumbs up to the 3.3 horse Mercury 4-stroke. Has its own gas reservoir, so no external tank needed. Just be sure to use fresh gas. Some people outfit this boat with a trolling motor and a battery. I am not a fan of tat approach. When you need a motor, you need one that can overcome wind and chop and can run for several miles at full power.

The rudder bracket and tiller attachment don't appear to be stock, so I can't comment. Obviously, you will have to come up with a more fail-safe method of attachment. It looks like the tiller assembly attaches to the rudder using a single bolt. Not sure what else is needed.

Sure, change out the topping lift. Couldn't hurt.

Last edited: